Landing experience Vancouver airport

lemmistay

Registered Users (C)
I landed at Vancouver airport about a week ago. My flight landed about 12:30pm on a Saturday. First stop, initial customs. Here was the shocker. I have never, in my life, seen lines this looooong. There must have been over 1000 people split between lines for residents and lines for visitors. I was told that the lines will shortly get worse after a couple more 747s land. So this line took about 1 hr. After the wait the officer was really nice, especially when she found out I was landing. She asked me if I had a list of goods to follow, I said yes and she told me I would have to show that to customs as I exit.

Next, Immigration. First, you are greeted by a welcoming staff who gives you a little welcome to Canada pamphlet, and they go over basic stuff like where to apply for SIN card, immigrant help and support groups, where to get drivers license, bank accounts, etc.

Next, initial immigration officer. Again, long lines. I was surprised how many people were landing as immigrants. When my turn came, the officer (again, very nice and courteous) asked me for my paperwork. He asked if I had any more photos. I said no. He told me to go to a corner, where he sends people who needs photos. After about 10 people accumulated in that corner, he came over and took snaps of everyone, then gave each of us a number to wait in que. After about 1 hr, I was called. Officer asked me where I was coming from, how much money I was bringing. I said $8000 cashiers check and was about to show her but she said she didnt need to see it. I also had bank statement but she didnt ask for it. She asked if I had an address in Vancouver, I said yes and gave it to her. She said my PR card would be mailed there in 6 weeks, and till then I cant leave the country because if I did, I would not be able to re-enter unless I go through the consulate in Seattle and wait 3 days. I said ok. She asked if I was married, what name of spouse was, if I had any kids, when my spouse would land, etc. Interview took about 10-15 min. She stamped my passport and said I had to go to customs as I exited. Total time in immigration was about 1.5 hrs.

Then, I collected my bags. By the time I got there, it was 2.5 hrs after my flight had landed, so my bags were scattered everywhere. Because of the huge volume of people, they take the bags off the carrusels and leave them waiting for you in different corners.

Then comes final customs as you exit. Officer saw I was landing and with a huge smile said "Welcome to Canada!". He saw I had a list of goods and he told me to go to a sideroom. And there I saw the horror. I was in a line of about 20-30 people. Line was progressing very, very slowly. Each person would go to the customs desk. There, the officer would open every single bag, put on gloves, and go through EVERY single piece of clothing. I have never seen such an investigation in my life, not in India, not in Africa, not in Europe or USA. With this one lady, the officer took each piece of clothing out, held it to the light, sniffed it (dont know why, maybe looking for drugs, maybe to see if its new vs. used?); he went through her wallet, took each credit card out, and sniped his finger slowly and carefully through the SLOTS for the credit cards in the wallet!!!! He took out socks, pushed his hand in each sock to make sure nothing was hidden. I dont know if these people were returning residents or landing immigrants, but regardless this was making me very nervous. I had a camcorder and laptop with me, and I didnt want to answer questions like when did you buy this, show us proof, etc. Camcorder was brand new model, costing twice in Canada as in USA. So after waiting 1 hr, and noticing I still had 1 more hour wait and even after that each officer was taking 30min-1hr with each person, I stepped out of line and went back to the customs officer at the exit, told him that my wife will be landing in 2-3 weeks and she can present the list then. He said that was ok and stamped the customs paper saying I had 14 days to present the list.

Next, rented a car, enjoyed Victoria and Vancouver, then I remembered that customs list again. I called Customs in downtown Vancouver. They gave me an appointment, I walked in the downtown office with my papers and in 10minutes I was done!

Then flew back. I was surprised that US Customs and Immigration are on the Canadian side, not US side, for all flights from Canada. Officer was nice and actually made small talk (a surprise for a US immigration officer). He took my prints and digital pic, asked me what I did, swiped my H-1 visa (I already had it, didnt go to Vancouver embassy), and I was through!!

If I had to do it again, I definately would not go through that airport. What a nightmare of a wait!!! I was there for over 4 hrs. I heard some other passengers from US say that if you arrive at night, then there is hardly anyone.

I did not get a SIN number. I called the SIN office, where they tell you how important it is to get SIN number so the Canadian government can keep track of who pays taxes, etc, exactly what I did not want. Did NOT apply for provincial health care (you have to wait 90 days anyway in BC). Once you land and apply for healthcare, you ARE considered a resident and are liable for taxes on you global income. So I talked to this lady at the SIN office, she said if I am not going to live there right now, there is no reason to apply for SIN card. She said many people live there for years without applying for one, and if I needed it, just to go back with my PR card and they would process it.

Anyways, long story but hope it helps.

Thanks lemmestay, for a detailed landing experience.

I had a question - did you handover your I94 at the US airport before boarding the flight to Vancouver?

General question: How do you report your exit from the US (to Canada) if you exit by land and you want to keep your I94?

Thanks for your responses :)

Hi; I handed my I-94 at the airport; once I boarded, the hostess came to hand me my I-94 back, stating I would need it to come back - not really the case since I had a valid visa and would not be using visa revalidation;

as far as crossing by land, read the back of the I-94; it says that if you cross by land into Canada, you hand the I-94 to the CANADIAN immigration officer. Again, if you are planning on re-entering with visa revalidation, I would NOT hand it over - simply take it out of your passport into your pocket! I asked the US immigration officer about visa revalidation on my way back for a friend. Officer said if you dont have the ORIGINAL (white) I94, there is NO WAY you will be able to use visa revalidation.

Please clarify...

Hi Lemmistay,

You had mentioned ".....She said my PR card would be mailed there in 6 weeks, and till then I cant leave the country because if I did, I would not be able to re-enter unless I go through the consulate in Seattle and wait 3 days. I said ok......".

You had also mentiojed that you flew back to USA.

Can you please clarify as both are contradicting statements. Did you flew back after 6 weeks or same day? If not what's the meaning of above statement.

Thanks

Flew back after a few days - after all, if you spend hundreds of $$ to go there might as well enjoy the wonderful city (and Indian shopping is incredible there). Gave my address in Vancouver where card will hopefully arrive in few weeks, then sent to me here.

"Flew back after a few days - after all, if you spend hundreds of $$ to go there might as well enjoy the wonderful city (and Indian shopping is incredible there). Gave my address in Vancouver where card will hopefully arrive in few weeks, then sent to me here"

Do you have relatives/friends living there ? so you gave their address ?

Should I rent a lodging till getting the PR card if I am not having any relatives/friends living there?

Would you please clarify this.

Thanks in advance

Hi Arun

You can return to US after applying for the PR card and using your "friend's" address in canada who can fed ex/ups it to you once he gets it .

Thanks Bhand11683,

I am not having any friends to help me in this i.e. get PR card and send it to me in my US address.

In this case, what I need to do ?

Canada Landing???

Hello--
Good Summary- I wamted to know if we could land anywhere in Canada. When I was filling my form I had filled prefered city as Tornoto but now I am thinking other cities based on the US visa revalidation appt.

Secondly, do I need to give the address of the same city I land or I can give another city

Thanks

Raj

lemmistay said:
I landed at Vancouver airport about a week ago. My flight landed about 12:30pm on a Saturday. First stop, initial customs. Here was the shocker. I have never, in my life, seen lines this looooong. There must have been over 1000 people split between lines for residents and lines for visitors. I was told that the lines will shortly get worse after a couple more 747s land. So this line took about 1 hr. After the wait the officer was really nice, especially when she found out I was landing. She asked me if I had a list of goods to follow, I said yes and she told me I would have to show that to customs as I exit.

Next, Immigration. First, you are greeted by a welcoming staff who gives you a little welcome to Canada pamphlet, and they go over basic stuff like where to apply for SIN card, immigrant help and support groups, where to get drivers license, bank accounts, etc.

Next, initial immigration officer. Again, long lines. I was surprised how many people were landing as immigrants. When my turn came, the officer (again, very nice and courteous) asked me for my paperwork. He asked if I had any more photos. I said no. He told me to go to a corner, where he sends people who needs photos. After about 10 people accumulated in that corner, he came over and took snaps of everyone, then gave each of us a number to wait in que. After about 1 hr, I was called. Officer asked me where I was coming from, how much money I was bringing. I said $8000 cashiers check and was about to show her but she said she didnt need to see it. I also had bank statement but she didnt ask for it. She asked if I had an address in Vancouver, I said yes and gave it to her. She said my PR card would be mailed there in 6 weeks, and till then I cant leave the country because if I did, I would not be able to re-enter unless I go through the consulate in Seattle and wait 3 days. I said ok. She asked if I was married, what name of spouse was, if I had any kids, when my spouse would land, etc. Interview took about 10-15 min. She stamped my passport and said I had to go to customs as I exited. Total time in immigration was about 1.5 hrs.

Then, I collected my bags. By the time I got there, it was 2.5 hrs after my flight had landed, so my bags were scattered everywhere. Because of the huge volume of people, they take the bags off the carrusels and leave them waiting for you in different corners.

Then comes final customs as you exit. Officer saw I was landing and with a huge smile said "Welcome to Canada!". He saw I had a list of goods and he told me to go to a sideroom. And there I saw the horror. I was in a line of about 20-30 people. Line was progressing very, very slowly. Each person would go to the customs desk. There, the officer would open every single bag, put on gloves, and go through EVERY single piece of clothing. I have never seen such an investigation in my life, not in India, not in Africa, not in Europe or USA. With this one lady, the officer took each piece of clothing out, held it to the light, sniffed it (dont know why, maybe looking for drugs, maybe to see if its new vs. used?); he went through her wallet, took each credit card out, and sniped his finger slowly and carefully through the SLOTS for the credit cards in the wallet!!!! He took out socks, pushed his hand in each sock to make sure nothing was hidden. I dont know if these people were returning residents or landing immigrants, but regardless this was making me very nervous. I had a camcorder and laptop with me, and I didnt want to answer questions like when did you buy this, show us proof, etc. Camcorder was brand new model, costing twice in Canada as in USA. So after waiting 1 hr, and noticing I still had 1 more hour wait and even after that each officer was taking 30min-1hr with each person, I stepped out of line and went back to the customs officer at the exit, told him that my wife will be landing in 2-3 weeks and she can present the list then. He said that was ok and stamped the customs paper saying I had 14 days to present the list.

Next, rented a car, enjoyed Victoria and Vancouver, then I remembered that customs list again. I called Customs in downtown Vancouver. They gave me an appointment, I walked in the downtown office with my papers and in 10minutes I was done!

Then flew back. I was surprised that US Customs and Immigration are on the Canadian side, not US side, for all flights from Canada. Officer was nice and actually made small talk (a surprise for a US immigration officer). He took my prints and digital pic, asked me what I did, swiped my H-1 visa (I already had it, didnt go to Vancouver embassy), and I was through!!

If I had to do it again, I definately would not go through that airport. What a nightmare of a wait!!! I was there for over 4 hrs. I heard some other passengers from US say that if you arrive at night, then there is hardly anyone.

I did not get a SIN number. I called the SIN office, where they tell you how important it is to get SIN number so the Canadian government can keep track of who pays taxes, etc, exactly what I did not want. Did NOT apply for provincial health care (you have to wait 90 days anyway in BC). Once you land and apply for healthcare, you ARE considered a resident and are liable for taxes on you global income. So I talked to this lady at the SIN office, she said if I am not going to live there right now, there is no reason to apply for SIN card. She said many people live there for years without applying for one, and if I needed it, just to go back with my PR card and they would process it.

Anyways, long story but hope it helps.