Landing at Vancouver. H1 with Security clearance.

mukhtarahmed

Registered Users (C)
Hello every body,

I have been following this discussion lately and would like to thank everyone for posting their experiences and advices.

I have a unique situation and would appreciate advice
Here are my details.
- Citizen to India since birth.
- Born in a Middle eastern country (which is in the List of 26 ( classified ) countries whose citizens are subject to security check for US visas)
- I am currently on a Valid H1 visa ( 7th year extension ).
- I was also put under security clearance for the last 1.5 years when I visited my home country India to get my expired H1 visa stamped ( I was told it was a name hit).
- I returned to US only a couple of months back.

I recently got my Canadian Landing papers and plan to land by Air at Vancouver along with my wife.

We do have valid stamped H1/H4 visa on our passport until October this year.

Please let me know if

It is OK to Land at Vancouver on a Saturday and return the next day.?

Given my background , Shall I submit the I94 at the airport . ?

Please advice...

Thankyou... :)

It is OK to Land at Vancouver on a Saturday and return the next day.?

-- Absolutely fine...(FYI: You are a citizen of India, so where you were born is not too important, since they go by the country of citizenship)

Given my background , Shall I submit the I94 at the airport . ?

-- DO NOT surrender your I-94. It will be useful to come back...

THank you BigBoy00 for your reply.

I am planning to travel next month and the remaining H1 valid visa on my passport ( October, this year ) will be no more than 5 months. I have heard that while re-entering United states the validity of H1 should be atleast 6 months. Do you think this is a genuine concern.

THank you again.

I really do not think 5 months H1 is an issue. This is because of my first hand experience (a few years back though, but I do not think even now it is an issue). I have entered the United States before, when I just had 3 months left on my H1. My wife also had 3 months on her H4. There was no question asked and we were allowed to enter without any problems...

Hope it helps, good luck!

mukhtarahmed said:
THank you BigBoy00 for your reply.

I am planning to travel next month and the remaining H1 valid visa on my passport ( October, this year ) will be no more than 5 months. I have heard that while re-entering United states the validity of H1 should be atleast 6 months. Do you think this is a genuine concern.

THank you again.

THanks BigBoy00 for all the assistance...
As the time to fly closes in .. the confusion mounts.
Wondering if i only I carry a bank letter stating the balance instead of bankers cheque of the amount that one has to declare at the time of landing, will it be OK. ?

Thankyou

As the time to fly closes in .. the confusion mounts.

-- I agree, fully! :)

Wondering if i only I carry a bank letter stating the balance instead of bankers cheque of the amount that one has to declare at the time of landing, will it be OK. ?

-- To be honest, I am not in touch with the current immigration/landing stuff. But based on what I have heard, bankers cheque is the safest thing to carry. Letters could always raise some questions... Also, FYI - You do not need to cash it in Canada, you can always come back with it and deposit it back into your account in the United States.

And finally, in the event that i am called to personally pick up the PR card, is it necessary to obtain the travel document in canada before leaving canada OR can it be obtained at a canadian consulate outside Canada.

I checked the Canada immigration site at

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/guides/5529E.html#wp288137

The documents there mention that one can apply for the Travel documents outside of Canada , however the residency obligation document checklist does not mention a case like mine ( working in US for a non canadian company)

A law firm that deals with canadian immigration assures me that i can apply
for the travel document outside of Canada. However there are other experts that say I will have to apply for the Travel documents in Canada before leaving the country.

THank you very much for all your prompt reply Bigboy00. I am really grateful to you for sharing your experiences.

A law firm that deals with canadian immigration assures me that i can apply
for the travel document outside of Canada. However there are other experts that say I will have to apply for the Travel documents in Canada before leaving the country.

-- I do not have any first hand experience in obtaining the travel document. However, in my opinion, it is always advantageous to apply for it (and get it if possible) before leaving Canada. That way you are very safe.
Also, normally the PR card is mailed at the address given by you. So most probably (and I hope) you will get it by mail.

THank you very much for all your prompt reply Bigboy00. I am really grateful to you for sharing your experiences.

-- You are most welcome. Good Luck!

F1 Expired Visa Stamp -Now on H1B Valid I-94 - Canadian PR - Question about landing?

Hello everybody,

My situation:
I have an expired F1 visa stamp in my passport (was on F1 for 4 years). I have been in the states for the last 6 years. I haven’t left the country since I came here. Working on H1 for the last 2 years and have a valid 1-94. I have to go Canada before 30 May 2006 to get my Canadian PR stuff. I don’t want to apply for a new visa stamp and want to come back with my expired F1 visa (want to use automatic visa revalidation) and resume my job. Don't have any plans to settle down in Canada for a year or so.

My quesitons/concers:
1) Is flying a better option than going by road? I am considering flying to Toronto or going by road through Detroit.

2) Once I land in Canada (by road or through plane), don’t they ask you to surrender your I-94? If I just tell them that I want to go back in a couple of days so I can’t surrender my 1-94, is that ok? I have heard stories that they get offended that you want to go back and don’t want to live here. Any comments?

3) On way back to America, who looks at visa and I-94? Canadian or US immigration officer and is it done in Canada or USA? Are they all familiar with AVR, in other words, do they know well that you can come back to the states on expired visa? Any comments? This is scaring me :confused:

4) If I decide to take my personal car, can I ask the Canadian immigration officer that I don’t want to "import" my car. Usually if you take your car, they charge tax etc and ask you to have your car registered in Canada. They assume you are going to Canada as a permanent resident so you want to take your car. Since I want to come back so I don’t want to use this option (importing car and paying tax). I hope they don't get offended that I am going back in a day or two and may refuse entry to Canada. Anybody who took his/her personal car to Canada for PR purposes or drove a rent a car, please share your experience. Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ia