Laid off Canadian PR - status in US ?

deepred

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,
My friend is a landed Canadian resident and was working on an H1 visa in the US. His company laid him off yesterday. If his company revokes his H1 visa, is he out of status ? Or does being a Canadian PR help him stay in legal status in the US ? (I know that a landed PR needs a visa to enter the US, but what happens if he/she is already inside the US and gets laid off ?) Can anyone please share some info on this...
Thanks...

Originally posted by deepred
Hi folks,
My friend is a landed Canadian resident and was working on an H1 visa in the US. His company laid him off yesterday. If his company revokes his H1 visa, is he out of status ? Or does being a Canadian PR help him stay in legal status in the US ? (I know that a landed PR needs a visa to enter the US, but what happens if he/she is already inside the US and gets laid off ?) Can anyone please share some info on this...
Thanks...
He is no different from anyone else. Canadian PR does not accord him any special status in the US. He should find another job ASAP to maintain his H1 or apply for change of status to visitor.

Apply for new job or

get some agreement with consulting firms so that he can work once project is confirmed. In the mean time he has 60 more days to send h1 transfer application to ins. Check with a lwayer or immigration expert ASAP.