laid off and unemployment benefit

SH95

Registered Users (C)
I got laid off two months ago and haven\'t found a new job. My AOS application is pending. Could anyone please tell me whether is it ok for me to apply for unemployment benefit? Thanks!

It shouldn\'t be a problem

My husband got the unemployment insurance without a problem when he got laid off. I asked my lawyer whether this would affect our AOS case. She said there\'s no problem. This is not a government benefits only for US citizens or permanent residents. The unemployment insurance is the taxes that the company paid to the state, in the event of having any layoffs.

i do not think so

Are you sure...when we applied aos with employment basis, you have to have the similar job while it is pending. if they ask about employment verification or check with UIB(unemp ins ben)then it would be a problem..

No Title

I guess my point is that the UIB itself won\'t affect the AOS case. I agree that you will need to have a similar job when your case is close to be approved in case they ask for employment verification.

Dear friend, don\'t make that mistake

One fellow he had the same issue. He is in a big soup now as the INS came to know that he got unemployment benefits while his AOS was still pending. If you don\'t have savings in your back account, try to borrow the money from ur friends. Just a friendly advice, DO NOT APPLY FOR EMP BENEFITS. Your attorney probably doesn\'t know it I guess and he will be the first person to back off if the INS issues and RFE later on..

Dear friend, don\'t make that mistake

suribang is right. Pls don\'t apply for Unemployment benifit.At the time of Approval they will verify.If you claim Unemployment benifit your case going to be denied. Pls don\'t claim. Try to make yourself survive either working at a McDonalds or borrow some money from user friends.Some of the attorney don\'t know about this.Pls don\'t do that mistake.

It is not that bad. Attorney Murthy has some words about this issue. www.murthy.com

If you want to paly safe do not apply it. but there is no law to state that you are unqualified for this issurance. The benefit is not considered as public burden for US. I did apply last year about two months. My 485 is pending... Never heard that this will bring trouble to people. It is just my personall opinion. I do not want people got too scared by the previous two messages.

No problem to apply for Unemp benefit.

My wife was laid off in Desc 2001 and applied for unemp benefit in Texas. they only asked whether you are permit to work at the time you apply for benefit. H1B is absolutely not qualified. but with EAD, no matter it is issued from AOS or OPT, you are qualified, at least in Texas. My wife has got 6 months benefit and will get extra 3 months from government. I think this is nothing related to your AOS and INS.

Can anyone apply for these benifits if he/she is not working? I mean if a US citizen family, one spo

can the other get this benifit? What are the requirements?

THE PROBLEM IS NOT UIB, IT IS THAT IF YOU APPLY FOR UIB, INS WILL KNOW YOU LOST YOUR JOB

AND IF YOU ARE PRIMARY AOS APPLICANT, IT WILL HAVE PROBLEM. IF YOU ARE NOT, GO AHEAD.

UIB

I checked in murthy.com . Iy says if you are in the process of GC then you have problem in getting Unempoyment benifit. If you are a GC holder then it is no problem ,in applying for citizenship.