L2 visa for wife - should passport name change be done before applying for visa?

jigarme

Hello,

I am on L1 visa (blanket) going to apply for my wife's L2 visa. Our surnames were different (before marriage) and her passport still has different surname.

My question is, should I get her name changed in the passport (to match my surname and middle name) before I apply for her visa? Or just showing marriage certificate is sufficient? I am really confused and need some expert advice.

Thanks in advance,
Jigar

I got the reply to this question while referring to other website,
immihelp.com/visas/l1/l2docs.html

Looks like its not necessary to change the name in passport. But visa will be issued on passport's name.

I have the same problem. I am in US on L1B and going to get married soon. For that I will go to India for some days.
- My fiance has her passport but with no surname. (she doesn't uses surname in documents)

I know surname is mandatory which needs to be added/corrected.
- Will it possible for me to get married and get her name updated in her passport, soon after my marriage?
- This all needs to be done in 2-3 weeks. Is that time sufficient?
- I want to bring her along to US,after marriage.

Please advise me . Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to discourage you but 2-3 weeks is very difficult.

You might want to first register the marriage as soon as you reach India. That way you can atleast start the passport paperwork. Changing the name in the passport requires the issuance of a fresh passport and this does take some time depending on your local passport office. Also you will have to have each other's names endoresed in the passport. Also, once you get the passport you will need to get the appointment with the consulate for stamping. The appointment will have to be after the marriage since the consultate folks will ask for marriage photos.

I think you should plan for atleast 4 weeks vacation time. Also you can leave on a Friday and come back on a sunday to extend your vacation by 4 days or so.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and good luck with everything !!!