L2 EAD application

Shailza

My husband is working with Accenture in US on L1 visa. I am working in India with Infosys. What is the procedure to go to US on dependent Visa and work in Infosys US office? I have heard about EAD for L2 visa but have no idea about it and how to I apply for L2 and EAD? If I have my L2 processed will my company Infosys provide me with the EAD?
Can you please help me with your expert advice?

L2 means you're the dependent of L1. You go to the consulate with all the L1 related papers and proof of your relation to the L1 holder, and file for L2 visa. Once you get it stamped - you come to the US and apply for EAD. Once the EAD arrives you can start working wherever you feel like it, as long as the L1 holder is in status. That includes Infosys if for whatever reason you want to stay there.

Be careful - until you have the EAD approved, you cannot work. The L2 status by itself does not include employment authorization. You're entitled to it, but you have to request it explicitly, once you're in the US and have L2 on your I-94.

Thank a lot for the info. So my doubt is that EAD work permit is to be applied by me as an individual and not by my company right and it is mandatory to be in US to apply for it. Or my husband can apply on my behalf once I have my L2 done? How much time does it take to get an EAD?

You will apply for EAD yourself, your company has nothing to do with the application, your EAD will be issued on grounds of being a dependent of L1, which in this case is your Husband not your company, once issued you can work for any employer including your current company.
Your husband cannot apply a EAD for you, you have to do it after you come to US.
It takes between 60-90 days for the issuance of a EAD.

Thank a lot for the info. So my doubt is that EAD work permit is to be applied by me as an individual and not by my company right and it is mandatory to be in US to apply for it. Or my husband can apply on my behalf once I have my L2 done? How much time does it take to get an EAD?

The EAD is for you, has nothing to do with any company. It is an authorization for employement anywhere. You, and only you, can apply for it, because it is you that has the L2 status. You have to be in the US for that (at least, you have to enable the status, it is allowed to leave the US, but I would advise not to leave for any visit until you have the EAD card in your hands). It should take up to 3 months to process the application.

Hi - I have a related query. My husband is travleling to US on L1 and I will be joining him in 2 months time on L2 and will apply for EAD soon after reaching US. My questions:
1. Is there a limit to the number of hours a person can work on L2 EAD in the US? Are there any clauses related to full time or part time employment or both are possible?
2. I work for an MNC myself. Provided my company transfers me from India to US, can I go on Leave of Absence for 60-90 days (or the time it takes to get EAD) and then join my company in US? I believe the break of 60-90 days is inevitable, right?

L2 based EAD application

Hi,
Similar question on the L2 based EAD.
I understand one (L2 dependent) needs to be in US to file for EAD. After filing the EAD application while residing in US and before the approval, I intend to drive to Canada (Canadian Resident) to wrap up things (as i still have job in Canada) and join my spouse (L1) in the US by the time EAD arrives.
1. Will I have issues with CBP at the border while driving back to US.
2. Is is mandatory that person should not travel out of the country (US) once the application (L2 dependent EAD ) is in the process?
replies appreciated.