L1B to H1B - urgent, please answer

lalla

Registered Users (C)
L1B to H1B
I am currently on a L1B here in the US since the last 2.5 years and planning to change employers. I have the following questions, can someone please answer: (This was asked earlier but I could not find the answers)

1. Can the COS to H1B be done here or do I have to go outside the US for stamping?

2. As I understand it, the H1B will be effective from 10/1/2004. I have no previous H1B. Probably a redundant question, but will I be under the cap?

3. If I apply for the COS now and the approval comes in say a couple of months, can I still continue working on my L1B till 9/30/2004 and then move over to the new employer? Or do I have to discontinue working for my L1B employer after the COS approval?

4. I guess there are a lot of people facing similar issues as me in being artificially forced to wait for 6 months or so because of the H1B cap. Can someone educate me on how are companies managing this problem in the interim? I am fed up with all the waiting.

Thanks,

lalla
see below for my take on some of the questions you posed

1. Can the COS to H1B be done here or do I have to go outside the US for stamping?
<A>
COS can be done while in the US. But if you travel outside while COS is pending, USCIS may consider it to be abadoned even though it might approve H-1B. So, in effect you would have to go ouotside of the country to a US Consulate to get H-1b stamping on your passport before rentry. This would be the case even if you adjusted status w/ in the country since you might not have a H-1 b stamping already.

2. As I understand it, the H1B will be effective from 10/1/2004. I have no previous H1B. Probably a redundant question, but will I be under the cap?
<A>
Yes, you would be subject to cap.

3. If I apply for the COS now and the approval comes in say a couple of months, can I still continue working on my L1B till 9/30/2004 and then move over to the new employer? Or do I have to discontinue working for my L1B employer after the COS approval?
<A>
I'm not sure abt. this. You could also post on Murthy's chat forum.
Good Luck.