L1 VISA-Do I need to be paid in India?

HaraKad

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My Company is planning to apply for my L1. For me to qualify, do I need to be paid my salary in India regularly? Am I only eligible to get an allowance in U.S.

Please clarify this at the earliest.

Thanks a lot.

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly...
One of the requirements of the L1 visa is that you have worked one year or more in the last three years for the sponsoring company or a related entity such as a subsidiary. That probably assumes you were paid a regular salary.
After getting the approval and your visa stamp in your passport you are supposed to earn a normal salary in the US, and get paid in the US. I'm not sure how that will work with an allowance since you also need to pay taxes. Besides, the US is not really an inexpensive place to live.

Billy_Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Let me rephrase my question:

Am I eligible to get a regular salary in U.S. or only an allowance?

As for the reqirements specified by you :
"One of the requirements of the L1 visa is that you have worked one year
or more in the last three years for the sponsoring company or a related
entity such as a subsidiary."

I have been with this company (which is doing by L1)for the last 6 years so that should take care of the above stated aspect.

Thanks.

You can be paid by either of the companies. I have read somewhere that your foreign company can continue to pay you even when you start working with the US branch/parent company.

You will qualify for a Social Security number when you get your visa, so you would be able to join a US-located payroll. This is better than staying on a foreign payroll from a point of view of accessing money, paying taxes, getting locally offering benefits plans, building a US credit score etc.

The IRS will want to tax you on your worldwide income so from a tax point of view it makes no difference where you are paid.