L1 stamping.

compuser1978

Registered Users (C)
In case the L1 visa has expired when in the US, and the comp files for a L1 extension, does the stamping need to be in the US or is it ok to go back in India and do the stamping ?? In case of h1's you can go back in India and get the stamping done before you enter the US again I guess. Do the same rules apply for L1?

Are you legal in the US if the visa is not actually stamped ?

Thanks in advance.

L1 Stamping

This is what I was told:

" Visa stamping is not a necessity as long as you are in US, if your L1 has been filed for extension, then you should get your I-797 approval along with I-94 card valid for the duration of the renewed I-797". You are in Status & not out of Status.

There is no need to re-stamp the Visa but only if you travel then you will need VIsa to return back to US.

What I did ;After I got my extension, I sent passports, I-797, new I-94 & Dl-156/157 papers duly filled to the St. Louis office as I may need to travel to India, it's been close to 8 weeks now but have still not got it back.

Going to India & re-stamping I have heard many stories/rumors, one rumor said they take upto 12 to 17 weeks to re-stamp as there was recently a case of Fraud in L1 from some company in Mumbai. I am not sure about all this but what I said in 1st 2 paras is what I did based on my lawyers responses.

So if you are not travelling, dont bother to stamp, but only problem is if you dont have a stamp more than year old I beleive you have to travel back to India.

Hope this helps.. my 2 cents:confused: