L1-B transfer under short notice

charishma1

I have an L1-B visa with company A which expires on Oct 12th 2004. My project also completes in the US on the same date with company A.
Company B is willing to file for a H1 visa for me and can do so within a week. I have the following questions:
1. Can I start working with Company B on Oct 13th if I receive the EAC# for the H1 application?
2. Do I have to leave the country on Oct 11th and come back when the H1 approval is received (which could be a few months)?
3. Since, there is only a few weeks left for the Oct 1st deadline, and the L1 expires on Oct 12th, will my application not get due importance as this is last minute?

Ask them to file in premium processing with start date of october 13th.
INS will answer in 15 days.
you can start working only after it is approved and not with the reciept number.
There is no special consideration for anything. you are supposed to file requests in timely fashion.

Wac

Hi Guess12,

My employer tells me that I can work under him when i receieve the WAC# even though I am in L1B.
Is that true ?

That's what my employer also said. Could anyone confirm? Also, I would like to know if leaving the country is mandatory before commecing work with the new employer?

L1 is a different status than H1.. only when a status change is approved , you can start working. if you work with new employer wihout approval you will be in violation of the law.
if he forces you, take vacation.. do not join without approval.

you need not leave country with change of status to continue working, but at the first instance out of the country get it stamped from home country consulate. Without that you cannot re-enter.
you can also get it stamped in canada or mexico, but if there are questions, they usually reject and ask you to apply at home country. you cannot re-enter USA in that case.

I am not a lawyer.. this is my opinion from reading all the comments from lawyers.. this is valid for all my replies..