L1 B Holder Marrying US Citizen

Zid1

Hi,

I Needed help in understanding my options and best possible route to take.here is my situation:

I am a LB visa holder with valid visa and I-94 until Dec 2010, I am getting married to
a US Citizen in July 2010 in India and planning to come back to US in August 2010.
This is my first 3 years of L1 B and My company is willing to apply for extension and at
the same time I am also planning to initiate my GC processing (after registering the marriage
in a court here in US) my question is
1. If i file for an extension for my L1 B via my company does it have any impact when
i process my GC application in lieu of the fact that I already have an L1 B petion pending.

2.Does it make more sense to register the marriage in a court here in July 2010 and then go to India
and come back and Initiate the GC processing with out filing for the L1 B extension.

I am little confused as to what the best option is , any help / wise counsel will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zid

Hello..My Name is Micheal from Nigeria,am presently in America on a K3 visa.married an america citizen.we had our good time,i came out here to america & was only here 2 weeks & got into a domestic Dispute with my spouse,Not even enough time to file my I-485 or even get a SSN..i ended up doing 6 months in the county Jail In the state of california & now facing cancellation and removal. am afriad cos my visa expires october 29th.i dont have notting,my wife was a crazy lady,she burnt all my paper works.. i cant even get a job to be able to hire a Lawyer..Please any one on idea on what i can do to settle this issue?am so scared of getting deported.thank to all

Worriedmichael, Please do not post in many places and hijack threads.

OP, In the US there is no "register marriage with the courts" for a foreign ceremony; you need to take care of all of that in India and the US will recognize the marriage. Since L1B is a dual intent visa, there is no problem with you entering as a married person as long as you are eligible to enter on L1B.

If you wish to enter on the basis of your marriage, you will need to wait for the consular processing to be completed.

Last edited by a moderator: