Kindly help me... I am considering EA...

blacknissan

Registered Users (C)
I would appreciate comments from the forum regarding my possible application for EB-1... Should I apply... do I have a chance

I am a Physician from india. I have done a Subspeciality training the USA.. I have MD

Here are my credentials

MD from India. Research for 2 years in India and 2.5 years in US

Publicatiosn 30 in peer reviewed journals (First author 10, other 12 only two authors with me being the corresponding and second author) Most of the publications on new instrumentation for performing surgeries on the eye

Presentations in the national meetings (In the US) 35

Reviewer for about 10 papers in 6 journals one Indian all others in US journals very respected ones

Five articals describing my research in medical periodicals by professional writers

One award for carrier achievement by young physician for advancement of medical instrumentation given in the USA

I have no citations by others though i have cited my own articals 5 times. This is because all the publications are in the last 1.5 years ( i am worried about the citations)

I should be able to get around 6-8 letters from associate or professors from US universities and some VP R&D from company

Hope someone can view my case and advice if i am ready for a EB-1 or NIW if yes which one and why

Thanks
Shah

administrative deccisions

blacknissan - you may wish to take a look at administrative decisions at USCIS site http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/admindec3/index.htm
There are examples of real approval and denial letters (scanned and saved as pdf files) addressed to real applicants (actual names are of course not visible). You may check on the EB visa category that you wish to apply for, and read a number of examples, which may give you an idea where you may stand with your future application.

blacknissan said:
I would appreciate comments from the forum regarding my possible application for EB-1... Should I apply... do I have a chance

I am a Physician from india. I have done a Subspeciality training the USA.. I have MD

Here are my credentials

MD from India. Research for 2 years in India and 2.5 years in US

Publicatiosn 30 in peer reviewed journals (First author 10, other 12 only two authors with me being the corresponding and second author) Most of the publications on new instrumentation for performing surgeries on the eye

Presentations in the national meetings (In the US) 35

Reviewer for about 10 papers in 6 journals one Indian all others in US journals very respected ones

Five articals describing my research in medical periodicals by professional writers

One award for carrier achievement by young physician for advancement of medical instrumentation given in the USA

I have no citations by others though i have cited my own articals 5 times. This is because all the publications are in the last 1.5 years ( i am worried about the citations)

I should be able to get around 6-8 letters from associate or professors from US universities and some VP R&D from company

Hope someone can view my case and advice if i am ready for a EB-1 or NIW if yes which one and why

Thanks
Shah

"Five articals describing my research in medical periodicals by professional writers": Are these papers only about your work or about this general scientific topic and your work is cited amongst other work ?

Is the award given in a nationwide competition or in an universitywide competition ?

Are these 6-8 reference letter all from persons who don't know you personally but just your work ?

Are you currently in the USA on a H-1B ?

thank you for your replies

Five articals describing my research in medical periodicals by professional writers": Are these papers only about your work or about this general scientific topic and your work is cited amongst other work ?

Five articles are only on my work....describing the significance and application in international and national periodicals

Is the award given in a nationwide competition or in an universitywide competition ?
It is a nation wide competition for young investigators...health care professionals, biomedical engineers etc

Are these 6-8 reference letter all from persons who don't know you personally but just your work ?
I can do either or both and may be get more

yes

Last edited by a moderator:
blacknissan said:
thank you for your replies

Five articals describing my research in medical periodicals by professional writers": Are these papers only about your work or about this general scientific topic and your work is cited amongst other work ?

Five articles are only on my work....describing the significance and application in international and national periodicals

It is a nation wide competition for young investigators...health care professionals, biomedical engineers etc

I can do either or both and may be get more

yes

Since you have an H-1B why don't you go for OR. I think you have a very good chance in OR. Your chances in EA are also relatively good but they are far better in OR. But you need for both more references letters from scientists (academia and industry) who don't know you personally if you want to have a chance in OR or EA. They are absolutly crucial for your success. And be aware that you need different recommendation letters depending if you want to go for EA or OR. You should get 10-12 letters from scientists who don't know you personally throughout the world (Europe, America, Asia). And they should be quite high-ranking (CEO/VP, full professors which have a very high reputation in the scientific community).
One question about the five papers about your work. In what kind of journals are they published ? I ask because I know that in the field of chemistry for example some people mention that their work was described in C&EN which is read by more or less all american chemists but still doesn't have a high scientific reputation/importance. Are these five journals peer-reviewed (including these five reviews) with a high impact factor, would be helpful if you could give names ? Since these are your only citations this point is also very, very important for OR and EA, since it will describe the impact of your work on the scientific community. And to be honest five citation out of 30 published papers is not very much, so they have to be very, very good.

thank you...some more questions

Your chances in EA are also relatively good but they are far better in OR.

I am going to do a residency in medical field so i need EA as i do not have permanent jog...is that okay..

But you need for both more references letters from scientists (academia and industry) who don't know you personally if you want to have a chance in OR or EA. They are absolutly crucial for your success. And be aware that you need different recommendation letters depending if you want to go for EA or OR.

Is there a place where i can find out about how the letters need to be written...examples....thanks

One question about the five papers about your work. In what kind of journals are they published ? I ask because I know that in the field of chemistry for example some people mention that their work was described in C&EN which is read by more or less all american chemists but still doesn't have a high scientific reputation/importance. Are these five journals peer-reviewed (including these five reviews) with a high impact factor, would be helpful if you could give names ? Since these are your only citations this point is also very, very important for OR and EA, since it will describe the impact of your work on the scientific community.

One citation is a comment in a reputed journal by the editor

one is a comment letter to editor by another scientist and replied to that

there are another four actually small articles in one european and three american news letters which is an official news letters of American or European societies for opthalmologist (circulation 25000) however not peer reviewed ....But these are articals written by professional journalist for the news papers....like a description of a new instrument or technique to imporve treatment for patients....

And to be honest five citation out of 30 published papers is not very much, so they have to be very, very good.
I know but the problem is all my publications are very recent... i have like cited my own work 10 times but other people have only cited my work one or two times as all articals are less than a year old

Thanks will wait for your comments

blacknissan said:
Your chances in EA are also relatively good but they are far better in OR.

I am going to do a residency in medical field so i need EA as i do not have permanent jog...is that okay..

But you need for both more references letters from scientists (academia and industry) who don't know you personally if you want to have a chance in OR or EA. They are absolutly crucial for your success. And be aware that you need different recommendation letters depending if you want to go for EA or OR.

Is there a place where i can find out about how the letters need to be written...examples....thanks

One question about the five papers about your work. In what kind of journals are they published ? I ask because I know that in the field of chemistry for example some people mention that their work was described in C&EN which is read by more or less all american chemists but still doesn't have a high scientific reputation/importance. Are these five journals peer-reviewed (including these five reviews) with a high impact factor, would be helpful if you could give names ? Since these are your only citations this point is also very, very important for OR and EA, since it will describe the impact of your work on the scientific community.

One citation is a comment in a reputed journal by the editor

one is a comment letter to editor by another scientist and replied to that

there are another four actually small articles in one european and three american news letters which is an official news letters of American or European societies for opthalmologist (circulation 25000) however not peer reviewed ....But these are articals written by professional journalist for the news papers....like a description of a new instrument or technique to imporve treatment for patients....

And to be honest five citation out of 30 published papers is not very much, so they have to be very, very good.
I know but the problem is all my publications are very recent... i have like cited my own work 10 times but other people have only cited my work one or two times as all articals are less than a year old

Thanks will wait for your comments

Perhaps I am a little bit slow, but you have now a H-1B visa and therefore most likely a permanent position, so why don't you start an OR now ?

About recommendation letters: We had these discussions already several times in this forum, some people prefer lawyers, some people prefer DIY but to get some help for recommendation letters you have to invest some money.

All five citations of your work are not in peer-reviewed journals, but in newsletters or as editorial comments. In my opinion this weakens the importance of such papers quite a lot. This was exact the reason why I mentioned the C&EN example, where also professional journalist write about chemistry stuff, but it doesn't have a high impact for your green card application if your work is mentioned. Since this journals/newletters are more or less good PR shows. This citation are not worthless but at least for EA not really helpful, they might help OR a bit.

Self citations doesn't count as citations. And to say that your papers are less than 1.5 years old and therefore you don't have citations doesn't interest USCIS since especially for EA you have to show the importance and impact of your scientific work by citations. And 1.5 years is a lot of time to have at least 10-30 citations for most papers if your work has such impact that it is enough to justify EA.

Overall I think with nearly no citations of your work but 30 own publications your chances for EA are relatively small. I think you might have good chances in OR which is easier to get than EA. For NIW it is impossible to say which chances you have without knowing what you exactly do in your research and which impact it has for the national interest. Again this is just my opinion but I really think you should send your case to some lawyers that they evaluate your case for free to get an idea what they think about your chances for EA and OR. But your should present your case in an honest way and describing in what kind of reviews your work is mentioned (not peer reviewed)

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you

can u suggest some lawyers where i can send my case for evaluations...

I do not have a permanent position as i am doing a residency.... so what do you think is good

thanks
shah

blacknissan said:

I do not have a permanent position as i am doing a residency.... so what do you think is good

thanks
shah
You can consider Rajiv Khanna or Murty. If you want to do self petitioing than DIY Kits may be quite useful for you.

blacknissan said:

thanks
shah
Hello Shah, did u find any good attorney?

misunderstood said:
Hello all,

I am looking for information on the requirements for a NIW case. I have a 4 year degree from outside US and a Masters from US. I do not have any research publications nor any affiliations to a professional society. I do work in a field that makes products that affects the health, treatment and way of life for the americal society. I am currently employed and my employer has no objections to providing a letter that states my role in the design and development of these products and a paragraph of how the products help americans lead better lives and cut insurance and hospital costs.
Could any of you please comment on whether this make a probable candidate for a NIW case. I do have a labor certification from Indiana state pending, but at the pace IN is processing LC's, I'll probably grow old and die waiting for the GC, and hence this request for all your help.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help.

Sincerely.

It doesn't really help if you post the same questions in different threads

misunderstood said:
Hello all,

I am looking for information on the requirements for a NIW case. I have a 4 year degree from outside US and a Masters from US. I do not have any research publications nor any affiliations to a professional society. I do work in a field that makes products that affects the health, treatment and way of life for the americal society. I am currently employed and my employer has no objections to providing a letter that states my role in the design and development of these products and a paragraph of how the products help americans lead better lives and cut insurance and hospital costs.
Could any of you please comment on whether this make a probable candidate for a NIW case. I do have a labor certification from Indiana state pending, but at the pace IN is processing LC's, I'll probably grow old and die waiting for the GC, and hence this request for all your help.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help.

Sincerely.
IN is really very slow. You may give a try for NIW, but don't keep very high expectations. You may do self filing using DIY literatrure.