Kid needs passport visiting Canada???

yf99

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys:

We are planning to go to Canada for a one week visit. My daughter is 3 years old and a US citizen. Does she need a passport or just birth certificate is ok ???

Thanks a lot.

So strange.......

Your kid is 3 yrs old and you have not applied for her passport?
What are you waiting for ?
Anyhow, its advisable to have a passport, just not to get into any problem.

Originally posted by manumahi
I think she need a passport (not 100% sure). Because you are visting another country.

US and Canadian citizens can each visit the other country with no passport. I re-entered last using my H-1B and no passport.

Does a green card holder of united states need to bring a passport of her/his citizenship country to travel Canada in addition to green card and US driver license?

TheRealCanadian,
Are you sure? Last time I tried going to Canada with out passport stamping. Buffalo, ny border check post guys told me that I need to have passport with visa.

I don't think h1-B itself is enough. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by manumahi
TheRealCanadian,
Are you sure? Last time I tried going to Canada with out passport stamping. Buffalo, ny border check post guys told me that I need to have passport with visa.

I don't think h1-B itself is enough. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That applies only to citizens of Canada and USA and not for others.

YF99,
You did not mention if your child is a US born citizen, or a naturalized US citizen. There is a difference in this case.

TheRealCanadian is right. A Birth Certificate of a US or Canadian born citizen is sufficient. Also acceptable is the Canadian Citizenship card, if you are a naturalized Canadian citizen. Since no such "citizenship card" exists for naturalized US citizens the only other option for naturalized US citizens is a US passport.

But a passport is always a better option. They will potentially hassle you less on the border. They have gotten more nervous since 9/11 (specifically the US border guards). A passport can easily be scanned in their POE system, while a birth certificate, and citizenship card cannot.