Keep GC in Wallet?

green4gold

Does one have to have the GC on you at all times? I am afraid that it may get stolen. Do I need to keep it in my wallet or just take it with me when I am traveling outside country?

Keeping a copy is fine. You can always show the original if asked. Not worth the pain of losing it.

Of course if going out of the country you would need to carry it.

green4gold said:
I am afraid that it may get stolen.

I think it's more of a psychological than reality. Most of the immigrants spends years, money and go thru mightmares, sleepless nights to get this card. So when card arrives to our hand, we are always afraid of loosing this "my precious".

green4gold said:
Does one have to have the GC on you at all times? I am afraid that it may get stolen. Do I need to keep it in my wallet or just take it with me when I am traveling outside country?

"Permanent residents are issued a valid Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) as proof of their legal status in the United States. Some people call this a “Green Card.” If you are a permanent resident who is 18 or older, you must carry proof of your immigration status. You must show it to an immigration officer if asked for it." - from:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/rights.htm

But, on a practical note, my attorney said carrying a photocopy marked "photocopy" is good enough in most instances. However, when traveling near places that have inland checkpoints (like San Diego), I always carry my original card.

The USCIS Web site used to say that you only had to know where your green card was, and could produce it if asked. It implied that you could you go and get it and show up somewhere and show it to an official. They obviously cleared up that ambiguous meaning.

This board was very very peaceful in your absence JoeF, in fact we noticed that when you left here you began arguing with others in another forum.

It was painfully evident to everyone here that you were the source of all the fights, so PLEASE refrain from such comments like in your last post "Yes, and there were lots of people here who ridiculed me" and "I told you so", we can see that you haven't changed and none of us want you here bringing this forum down to your level.

Condescending Monkey, Hidden Psycho

Let me be very clear to you TROLLS out there:

1) If you admit to reading posts on this or other forums(Khanna, Murthy and Gotcher), then "you admit that you are a stalker. That's a crime! How does it feel to be a criminal? Idiots."
2) If you admit to posting on this or other forums, then you admit that "you are an anti-immigrant."
3) You are only allowed to post scientific polls, such as
Poll: Are you a PenguinWannabe?
I always am a PenguinWannabe, even when going to work
I am a PenguinWannabe only when travelling long enough distance like going to another state
I am not a PenguinWannabe. I am a troll and an anti-immigrant and I just found out that I am a stalker, a criminal and an idiot.​
Warning: If you say you are not a PenguinWannabe, your statement can be used as evidence against you if you are one day prosecuted for not being a PenguinWannabe.

pralay said:
I think it's more of a psychological than reality. Most of the immigrants spends years, money and go thru mightmares, sleepless nights to get this card. So when card arrives to our hand, we are always afraid of loosing this "my precious".
Since you your self mentioned it is precious,got it 'after so much',(more than your riches,as riches may not bring GC fro ex.),the person might have the right to worry about 'losing GC' akin if you have a precious diamond and you are asked to take it daily with you 'at all times' you may feel same thing.
it may be psychological and real as well.It may not be with every body but.
So let us appreciate the apprehensions of the guy and let's not belittle that.it's not fair on our learned members part to question the areas he lives.who knows .If any body want to really help he may render counselling/methods to alleviate fears,
if any one wish or can.

IndiraGandhi said:

settle down! if you wanna fight go to madison square garden

IndiraGandhi, are you related to JohnKerry/JohnEdwards(oldtimer/shorttimer members of this board :D :D )?? If you are, WELCOME, we need your leadership here. :D :D

Participant said:
Since you your self mentioned it is precious,got it 'after so much',(more than your riches,as riches may not bring GC fro ex.),the person might have the right to worry about 'losing GC' akin if you have a precious diamond and you are asked to take it daily with you 'at all times' you may feel same thing.
it may be psychological and real as well.It may not be with every body but.
So let us appreciate the apprehensions of the guy and let's not belittle that.it's not fair on our learned members part to question the areas he lives.who knows .If any body want to really help he may render counselling/methods to alleviate fears,
if any one wish or can.

It was nothing critical about any particular person as such. It is general observation. So, when you talk "right to worry" , it becomes laughable (because it's so obvious).
Fear is alleviated by knowledge and discussion. And that's the very reason this forum is for.

pralay said:
It was nothing critical about any particular person as such. It is general observation. So, when you talk "right to worry" , it becomes **laughable (because it's so obvious)**.
This** ** is what the way adpted is questionable.You may not have bad experience that some other guy might have got thro'(if any) that is why you may laugh.My word 'right' may be a slip but the guy may some 'situation' to worry.
Other, I appreciate that you are not critical about the guy's predicament and always your inputs elsewhere were really vaulable to members .

Participant said:
This** ** is what the way adpted is questionable.You may not have bad experience that some other guy might have got thro'(if any) that is why you may laugh.My word 'right' may be a slip but the guy may some 'situation' to worry.
Other, I appreciate that you are not critical about the guy's predicament and always your inputs elsewhere were really vaulable to members .

Fair argument. I agree.
From the initial posting it's apparent that the question is generic (not in particular or specific situation). If he/she has any specific situation, it should be shared, otherwise it's difficult to comment in specific way. I hope you are regular visitor in this forum and must have gone thru many threads in past. Want some example?
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=163988

Yuck, yuck yuck

What we have here is Larry, Moe and Curly rolled into one PACKAGE. My family(yes Puddles and Fleabag too) has stopped watching TV since the return of the PACKAGE. The motto of the PACKAGE is pretty much derived from the Oath of Hippopotamus : Post First, Post Last and belittle anyone else who posts in between.

I know, PeeWee aka PenguinWannabe is going to conduct a scientific poll to put an end to all rumors if, for the past few months while the PACKAGE was stalking this and other forums, "this forum was peaceful and enjoyed valuable contributions from everyone and there was no name calling and no derogatory comments". I think we can go ahead and quote this masterpiece, "he still wonder around this board spreading all mighty idiocity".

Have you trolls ever wondered why "Other forums have introduced required moderator approval for posts". Huh..., hmm... you guessed it, the PACKAGE's prints("ignore the troll. He is stalking and harrassing me for some unknown reason.") were everywhere.

"Disclaimer: I am not Barney the Dinosaur, nor do I play one on TV. But fear not, I will not hang around here. My time is too valuable to fight with clueless idiots like you. I am sometimes reading stuff here, and as long as certain people are posting here, I will not stay around. Idiot. Get lost!"

This is hilarious, he accuses me of stalking, when someone actually pointed out JoeF on another board starting his usual fights, I just reiterated what was said and in the same breath he says he was stalking me - hysterical.

What is plainly evident for all in this thread is the beligerence JoeF operates on, picking fights, name calling abusive behaviour - everything he blames others for. He can't see it's his own personality flaws he's projecting on others. What is also obvious in his brief return here as he posts and his alter ego posts messages that he is disruptive and is the source of all the fights on the boards.

JoeF, if you wish to stay here, grow up and stop acting like a child. No one here wants to tolerate your abusive immature behaviour.

qwertyisback said:
IndiraGandhi, are you related to JohnKerry/JohnEdwards(oldtimer/shorttimer members of this board :D :D )?? If you are, WELCOME, we need your leadership here. :D :D

No, I am not realted to any of these goons, but if you think I can provide you all some direction, I surely do so.

qwertyisback said:
OK , then protect this forum/board from a goon who has returned back from deportation to disrupt/mislead members. :D :D

Let me get to know him, there are always a good and bad side of the story, what is it, you need to be very clear about this goon.

IndiraGandhi said:
Let me get to know him, there are always a good and bad side of the story, what is it, you need to be very clear about this goon.

Take your time and take it easy. If you follow goon's trail,(Disclaimer::its ugly,vicious,heinous... follow it on your own risk :D :D ) you will know everything.

qwertyisback said:
Take your time and take it easy. If you follow goon's trail,(Disclaimer::its ugly,vicious,heinous... follow it on your own risk :D :D ) you will know everything.

You are right, I will not do anything that will bring pain to all including you.

joef

Joef,

You're still alive? Great!

Good to see that you are still here. We argued over this topic about year ago. Since then, I have repented and agree with joef.

ysolong