Kashmir, please answer my concern regarding stamping!

spouse

Registered Users (C)
Today I went to Detroit for PP stamping everything went smoothly...my concern is as my passport is valid only 11 more months..she said she can't put a stamp in Passport....(Looks like minimum is validity is one year) . she asked me for extra photo other than two photographs.. and put all the details (which are supposed to be put in passport)on one card with my picture and sealed on the card...I am wondering is this card is sufficient to enter in to USA after abroad travel without pp stamping?.

Last edited by a moderator:
spouse said:
Today I went to Detroit for PP stamping everything went smoothly...my concern is as my passport is valid only 11 more months..she said she can't put a stamp in Passport....(Looks like minimum is validity is one year) . she asked me for extra photo other than two photographs.. and put all the details (which are supposed to be put in passport)on one card with my picture and sealed on the card...I am wondering is this card is sufficient to enter in to USA after abroad travel without pp stamping?.
When I visited Los Angeles office with my son on 5/19/2004, his passport was valid only through mid August 2004.
He got I-551 passport stamp as I wrote at:
http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=125625&page=10&pp=15#post791923
He had travelled abroad and he got back in the States with that passport.

I don't know why she could not put I-551 stamp on your passport.
Also, I have no idea about that card.
Does it have I-551 stamp ?
What kind of form is it ?
What size is it ?
???

I have similar concern. The passport of my child is valid only until August 04, and I am expecting my approval within next 30 days. [Currently filing response to RFE on my 485 application ].

I am seriously considering, whether I should apply for passport renewal of my child and get the renewed passport.

I have following two questions.

1) Is it the most appropriate thing to do ?

2) what happens to the attached I/94/AP card attaached with the passport. [I knw that is required by INS at the time of stamping ] does it remains attached with the old passport or does it get attached with the new passport now ?

Advance Thx,

-CoolRaj

CoolRaj_03 said:
I have similar concern. The passport of my child is valid only until August 04, and I am expecting my approval within next 30 days. [Currently filing response to RFE on my 485 application ].

I am seriously considering, whether I should apply for passport renewal of my child and get the renewed passport.

2) what happens to the attached I/94/AP card attaached with the passport. [I knw that is required by INS at the time of stamping ] does it remains attached with the old passport or does it get attached with the new passport now ?

Advance Thx,

-CoolRaj

Friends, Please look into these matters with utmost importance, You cannot be negligent when it comes to renewing passport documents. It does not take more than 2 weeks if you are in a city away from the city where Indian Consulate is located. Like for example if you are in SFO go to the Indian Consulate there and you should be done much earlier than 2 weeks. Couple of my friends in San Jose got it done like in a week. For people elsewhere please check www.IndianEmbassy.org and find out which consulate office would service you and please get it done. I guess you can always try and go back to the local INS with the approved copy of I-485 and explain and request them for stamping.

MY HUMBLE REQUEST FOR ALL FRIENDS HERE WAITING FOR APPROVAL PLEASE CHECK YOURS AND YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS PASSPORTS FOR ANY RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS, PLEASE DO NOT BE CARELESS WITH THIS STUFF.

DO NOT MISTAKE ME OR GET ME WRONG IT IS ONLY FOR YOUR BENEFIT, YOU DON'T NEED ANY MORE HEADACHES OTHER THAT THIS WRETCHED WAIT FOR GC APPROVAL FOLLOWED BY WAITING FOR PHYSICAL CARD ARRIVAL.

Yes, Kashimie, the card has I551 details too

Kashmir,

This card looks little bigger than I-94, and has columns just like I-94 with extra info like passport numbner...blabla. she filled all the info like my name and A#, Approval date...wac# and she put a stamp on that card in red ink with the follwing info
A##-###-###
(lastname), (firstname)
PROCESSED FOR I-551
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR
PERMANENT RESIDENCE
VALID UNTIL MAY 18 2005
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED.

and also she put her intialls..date etc

she took one extra photogrpah and attached to that card and sealed (certified) with immigration seal...that's all.. she said said the that card will allow me to return to US. (Of course I am confused)

spouse said:
Kashmir,
This card looks little bigger than I-94, and has columns just like I-94 with extra info like passport numbner...blabla. she filled all the info like my name and A#, Approval date...wac# and she put a stamp on that card in red ink with the follwing info
A##-###-###
(lastname), (firstname)
PROCESSED FOR I-551
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR
PERMANENT RESIDENCE
VALID UNTIL MAY 18 2005
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED.

and also she put her intialls..date etc
she took one extra photogrpah and attached to that card and sealed (certified) with immigration seal...that's all.. she said said the that card will allow me to return to US. (Of course I am confused)
I think it should be OK because your card includes exactly the same information as I-551 stamp, but of course, I can not guarantee.

In my son's case, my attorney advised me that he brings two passports,
new one not expired and old one with I-551 stamp after his passport renewal,
but he came back to the States before his passport renewal.

CoolRaj_03 said:

Advance Thx,
-CoolRaj
You should keep I-94 in hand on your child's passport renewal.
If I were you, I would apply his passport renewal as soon as possible.

One of my friend lost his passport, but fortunately he kept his I-94.
He got I-551 stamp on his new passport without any trouble.

Kashmir,

I called indian embossy here in chicago, they said they can't renew a passport which having validty more than six months, my passport has exactly 11 months 20 days. so there is no way that i can renew my passport now..i am making my trip to India next month...any way thanks for u r info as u said yes exactly that card has same info just like as regular stamping in Passport (my wife passport has been stamped and I compared this card with pp stamp in ger passport , they exactly match) ...For safe side I will talk to my attorney..

spouse said:

Check the sub-forum "Life after Green Card". You will find more information there.

SF Indian Consulate accepts passports within an year of expiry. Can you send your passport to SFO Consulate ? Call and find out. Google on San Francisco Indian Consulate to get their website

mango_pickle said:
SF Indian Consulate accepts passports within an year of expiry. Can you send your passport to SFO Consulate ? Call and find out. Google on San Francisco Indian Consulate to get their website

mango_pickle,

Thanks for the suggestion.

-CoolRaj

I just got my passport renewed in SF (Indian Consulate) based on Change of Appearance - actual pp doesn't expire till 1996. It takes no more than 5 business days if your documents are in order. It's worth getting done if you're in a bind!!