K1 vs K3 visa

Destinymd

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
Could anyone tell me how long the process for a k1(marry in U.S.) or a k3(marry in spouse's country) visa is? I am also trying to decide if it is better for me to apply for a k1 visa or k3 visa for my future spouse. I am from Wisconsin and he is from Mexico. We would like to make the process as simple as possible. Also, does anyone know approximately how much it costs in the end, after application process for either a k1 or k3 visa?

Thank you,
Lupita

K1 is faster

I asked my lawyer the same question because I am on the same boat as you are. She said K-1 is faster-from 2 to 6 months. An immigration officer I talked to also stated this same thing.

For Mexico, the K-1. Reason being that if you get married first, filing the I-130 and then the I-129F for the K-3 visa; if the I-130 somehow manages to arrive at the consulate before the I-129F petition, then you are up for an approximate wait of 9-12 months for an interview. Have seen this happen many times. The I-130 over-rides the I-129F for a spouse. Where as it is a walk-in for the K-1 visa.

All the best to you.