K-1 or K-3

mjjking

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, I have a question... How long should I wait for a K-1 to be approved and conferred? how long AOS takes for an italian national? while on AOS will I have to live with my wife all the time (i ask because she is going to grad school and she could move, so that would mean I would have to follow her and not starting my grad school too)? thanks!

Another question folks... While our K-1 application is pending, can I visit my fiancée in the USA (i'm the receiver) and can she come to italy to visit me?
Let's say I leave my job to go to stay 2-3 months (the max. allowed by my visa waiver program) to stay with her... how could I prove my strong ties with Italy and don't get denied?
thanks!

K1- I would plan on it taking a total of 6-8 months until you have your visa in hand. Each case is different so theres no exact time length I can give you. I filed my K1 in september and had my initial approval 2 weeks ago (so about half way there now), however, there are people who filed in June, July and August who are still patiently waiting for their initial approval, therefore it will take longer than 6-8 months for these people.

Not too sure about the AOS thing as I wont be going through that until August.

You can visit during the K1 process, though you are right about the proof of ties to show intent to leave. Having a K1 in the system could mean that you will be extra scrutinised (this has happened to many, whilst many have breezed through without a problem). Proof of ties can be a letter from your employer stating when youre returning back to work, a letter from your landlord (tenancy agreement), mortgage papers, car loans, bank loans.

Hope that helps