K-1 Fiance Visa Info

JamiBVA

Registered Users (C)
I am currently in the process of compiling information for the K-1 visa. For those of you who are currently going through the process and/or applications have been approved, what were some of the pieces of evidence that you submitted for proof of meeting each other within 2 years? Also, is there anyone who is currently or recently waiting for their K-1 visa and your fiancé is from Nigeria? If so, how long did the process take or what stage of the process are you in? How long did it take for your fiancé to receive an interview date from the time the application was approved?

For everyone else, what advice would you give someone in my stage of the process?

Source What type of evidence and how much evidence should I send to show that we have met within the required two year period prior to filing the petition?

Tip:
Use Q18 of the I-129F petition to describe in some detail of how you met in the required 2 year period that established the relationship. The evidence you then submit should support those details. Boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel/credit card receipts, rental receipts if ever lived together etc etc are primary evidence. Photos are secondary which support the primary evidence. What one should be aiming for is creating an image in the minds eye of the adjudicator......a complete picture. Look outside the box for evidence that shows you both in the same place at the same time. Each case is different and one should submit evidence accordingly, not just rely on the standard unofficial list.

Whilst evidence of an ongoing relationship is not a requirement at the initial filing stage, it can be beneficial to those from high fraud countries (eg the philipines) to do so, or if there is anything that could be a red flag that may cause issues at interview stage. This evidence should always be very carefully scrutinised especially emails & chat, to make sure there is nothing mentioned that may be construed in a different way then it is meant. Also make sure that any photo evidence submitted of any ceremony cannot be mistaken for a marriage ceremony which has in the past caused issues and denials.

what advice would you give someone in my stage of the process?
Research - Check and double check everything filed - Have lots of patience

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! We received our receipt on January 19, 2007 and our Approval Notice on January 25, 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations

When did you submit your paperwork to Vermont. I am starting to compile all my info too and am curious about the processing time.

I submitted it on January 17, 2006. They sent the Receipt number on January 19, 2007 (but I got it in the mail on the 23rd) and it was approved on January 25th.

we filed ours last september 2007 and got the approval a month after. the US immigration has forwarded our application to the consulate of my country and I was given an interview date this March 2009. Basically, it's taking us 6 mos to finish all the process. After my interview, i will be leaving by april since we have planned the wedding way back last year.

Wow ziggymermaid, you got approved fast.
We also filed in September, but only got our approval in January.

Heres a link to the current timelines/historical trends of K1 filers. Dont be alarmed by the huge increase in time after August, as this is due to the huge backlog of applications received before the price hike at the end of July. Much of that backlog has been cleared now and so processing times *should* reduce (though there are still many filers who are suffering).

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/stats.php?cfl=