Just want to understand...

bakersf

Registered Users (C)
I got my green card last year through political asylum..:D I would like to travel to Canada for a vacation by air... I also have a refugee travel document..What do I need to travel to Canada as it says on the Cbp website that everyone will need a passport or travel document to depart and arrive into the USA by air...so do I have to take my RTD with me or no??? Thanks.

If you have a GC no visa is needed. just take your Gc and RTd you will be fine...In theory GC is just enough but if you have a RTD take it and save yourself some possible grief...

If you have a GC no visa is needed. just take your Gc and RTd you will be fine...In theory GC is just enough but if you have a RTD take it and save yourself some possible grief...

He will need to carry RDT or some passport as that is a requirement; just showing green card wont fly.

I have been a long time visitor of this forum but have almost never posted since I found all my questions already answered in various threads. However, I was not able to find much information regarding people who have traveled to Canada by land since the resent changed in passport requirement for LPRs.

I have checked and found the following regarding traveling as an LPR:

Lawful permanent residents (LPR's), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or the Travel Document issued to persons with refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States. LPR's may still need to present a passport for entry into a foreign destination. For this reason airlines may deny boarding to LPR's traveling without a passport.

Source: US Border protection

This basically means I, as an LPR (through asylum), would not have to show a passport when returning to the U.S. Thats great but I am more concerned about whether Canadian customs would let an LPR in if he does not have an RTD or NP.

I have read that LPR's visiting Canada by land are now required to show a passport in addition to their GC. My questions are:

1) Whether anyone read or heard about any changes that now allows a refugee or an asylee to carry or renew their national passport to travel

2) Is it better to apply for an RP or RTD if visiting Canada?

3) What prevents one from saying that they have been to Canada for a day when he has been there for a month when asked by U.S. customs?

4) Has anyone ever used an NP and denied to have used it when asked during citizenship interview? Is this response usually verified by USCIS?

I have been a long time visitor of this forum but have almost never posted since I found all my questions already answered in various threads. However, I was not able to find much information regarding people who have traveled to Canada by land since the resent changed in passport requirement for LPRs.

I have checked and found the following regarding traveling as an LPR:

Lawful permanent residents (LPR's), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or the Travel Document issued to persons with refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States. LPR's may still need to present a passport for entry into a foreign destination. For this reason airlines may deny boarding to LPR's traveling without a passport.

Source: US Border protection

This basically means I, as an LPR (through asylum), would not have to show a passport when returning to the U.S. Thats great but I am more concerned about whether Canadian customs would let an LPR in if he does not have an RTD or NP.

I have read that LPR's visiting Canada by land are now required to show a passport in addition to their GC. My questions are:

1) Whether anyone read or heard about any changes that now allows a refugee or an asylee to carry or renew their national passport to travel

2) Is it better to apply for an RP or RTD if visiting Canada?

3) What prevents one from saying that they have been to Canada for a day when he has been there for a month when asked by U.S. customs?

4) Has anyone ever used an NP and denied to have used it when asked during citizenship interview? Is this response usually verified by USCIS?

Using a NP and then denying to USCIS officials is a big no-no. don't do this or you will cause yourself lot of problems.

Thank you for your response. I am just curious whether anyone faced a similar situation where they denied having a NP while having one in his/her name? What ways can USCIS find out about one having an NP? I have searched but could not find details about whether they contact the embassy of the COP to check whether a passport was issued or whether they have any other sources?