Just Received the GREEN CARD: I have a quick Questions for GURUS

captainv1234

Registered Users (C)
I have just received the green card last week. I have couple of very simple questions, I will be very happy if someone can answer them.

1) I am planning to leave for my home country in about 2 weeks for a 1 MONTH vacation. Do I need to only take my physical green card and passport with me ? Will they be enough for my reentry?

2) Do those kind of 1 MONTH vacations dangerous such that I can loose my permanent resident status?

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, 1 year from now I will go to my home country for a 9 month period... However, I will come to US every 3 months and stay here like 2 weeks each time...

Does this have any consequences???
Do I have to take a Reentry Permit???
Will it be a problem at the border such that the officer takes my card and deletes my Permanent Resident Status???....

Just one more info... Even when I leave I will have by bank accounts active and I may even have an apartment lease on my name although I may sublet it..

Thank you very much for your valuable responses in advance.

I have just received the green card last week. I have couple of very simple questions, I will be very happy if someone can answer them.

1) I am planning to leave for my home country in about 2 weeks for a 1 MONTH vacation. Do I need to only take my physical green card and passport with me ? Will they be enough for my reentry?

Yes.

2) Do those kind of 1 MONTH vacations dangerous such that I can loose my permanent resident status?

NO

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, 1 year from now I will go to my home country for a 9 month period... However, I will come to US every 3 months and stay here like 2 weeks each time...

Will it be a problem at the border such that the officer takes my card and deletes my Permanent Resident Status???....

Get Re-entry permit for such long absence.

Just one more info... Even when I leave I will have by bank accounts active and I may even have an apartment lease on my name although I may sublet it..

Hey Captain,

Very happy to see that your case got approved. Congrats! I remember you were worried after getting the letter from the FL.

I don't remember whether you were a transfered case or not. Could you please re-post your details.

I am still waiting.

Captain, You are in the wrong forum buddy......just kidding....post this question under Naturalization thread..many of us have not crossed the bridge yet...our answers may not be authentic...

Wow, well this was a pleasant surprise! Congratulations captain. Like akayal said, the last we all knew, you had received the name check results as clear.
Anyway, dude, you are a permanent resident now. Don't sweat the small stuff. USCIS cannot revoke a permanent resident status bestowed (I think..only the courts might), but again, these questions are a little beyond the experience level of these threads...you might have folks with more knowledge, but yes, the citizenship thread or the "after GC" thread might be a good place to post your questions. Lastly, you can also call customer service and ask them these very questions. CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK...
...PS....pray for the rest of us languishing in the dog days of summer.

USCIS cannot revoke a permanent resident status bestowed (I think..only the courts might), but again, these questions are a little beyond the experience level of these threads...
USCIS can revoke it at the port of entry after a long absence by deeming it "abandonment of residence". No courts needed. But I agree, other sections of this forum are more suited for the post-GC questions.

Yes you need to take your Green Card and Passport with you.

No this is not going to hurt anything.

As per Green Card rules to maintain you status you should be in Country for more then 181 days on any calender year. With stamps on your passport it will be very difficult to prove it. You can get exemption if you are working for some US Govt. assignment in other country or something like that. Otherwise you can get exemption for 2 yr by applying to USCIS and come back after 2 yr. Staying 9 month in other country and 3 months in US can hurt your permanent resident status in US and they can revoke your green card or deny entry at the port. BTW having bank account or Apartment doesn't prove anything.

Hey Captain,

Very happy to see that your case got approved. Congrats! I remember you were worried after getting the letter from the FL.

I don't remember whether you were a transfered case or not. Could you please re-post your details.

I am still waiting.

Hello everybody,

You are all right, this is not the right forum. I will post it at other forums too.

And I wish all of you all the luck, I know it is hard to wait for a nonsense name check stuff.

And I specifically wish Akayal good luck... Akayal yours will be cleared soon too..

As per my case (if it is going to help you)... I fought very very hard! I mailed 4 Senators, 8 Congressman, Ombudsman, First Lady and Vice President (please see my previous posts...)

What happened is First Lady cleared my name check then due to further delays I start mailing the Vice president and the President.... Theirs was the last punch....and I received my card.

And Akayal my case was transferred from Vermont around March....

Ohh before I forgot in addition: I found FBI agents to check from inside, I contact Department of Education, I started contacting New York Times claiming that the super Brains of this country is being held for nothing... This country is great due to highly talented people of all races coming here and doing Science and Research.... Without them it would be a big land with couple of lakes and resources... A land is nothing without the talented people on them :)

Good luck all.. I wish all of you patience and endurance :(

Yes you need to take your Green Card and Passport with you.

No this is not going to hurt anything.

As per Green Card rules to maintain you status you should be in Country for more then 181 days on any calender year. With stamps on your passport it will be very difficult to prove it. You can get exemption if you are working for some US Govt. assignment in other country or something like that. Otherwise you can get exemption for 2 yr by applying to USCIS and come back after 2 yr. Staying 9 month in other country and 3 months in US can hurt your permanent resident status in US and they can revoke your green card or deny entry at the port. BTW having bank account or Apartment doesn't prove anything.

bocondo,

thank you for your responses...