Just passed the interview today in San Diego...

yuxiangisme

Registered Users (C)
I received a letter after the interview saying:

1. You passed the tests
2. A decision cannot yet be made about your application. pending name check.

I was told that the FBI name check has not come back and that I should hear from the BCIS in two months.

Then, I came on this forum and read some horror stories about waiting for the oath appointment forever. So, my questions to you guys who are on the same path out there is:

- If you went to the San Diego BCIS for interview recently, was your name check completed at the time of the interview?
- If not, have you received anything about the name check?
- Do you know of anything I can do to expedite the process?
- What's the time you had to wait between your interview and the oath ceremony?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

From what I have read in this and other forums, name check takes several months, more importantly, the local office does not contact you right after they get a response back from FBI. So, probably, it would not be a bad idea to call up FBI and ask them if they received your name check request. If yes, you can ask them whether they returned the results back to the local office. That way, you will know whether the wheels are turning or not.

Did you ask the officer when they started your name check?

Thanks for your reply.

I did not ask the officer when the name check was started.

I just called the San Diego FBI criminal record division, they said they only check the finger prints, and it was completed day after my finger print was collected.

However, for the name check, they said it's another division. I will have to check with the BCIS about which division they sent it to. Anyone has any idea how I should go about doing that?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
FBI headquarter number for name check

I find my name check status with FBI by
Calling 202-324-3000 and tell them what situation you are, They will transfer you to Name Check department which will ask your name, alien number etc and ask you send a inquiry fax so that they can take a look your name check progress.

By the way, if someone, your friends, or relatives recently apply EAD (employment authorization Document) with I-485 adjust status in San Diego , please post how many days it took to get EAD right now in San Diego.

Here is my timeline:

N-400 mailed to Vermont Service Center: May 8 2003
Data of Receipt: May 21 2003
Fingerprint on Portland District office: July 10 2003
FBI fingerprint results sent to BCIS: July 11 2003
BCIS notice of interview received: August 9 2003
Interview: September 22 2003

On November 20, 2003, we visited local BCIS district office and got bellow answer: “ FBI name check was not yet done. Be patient and wait “

On November 26, 2003, we received letter and phone call from FBI DC headquarter informed us that Name Check was completed and sent back to BCIS on November 5 2003.

On Feb, 6 2004 , we received the oath letter on Feb 26, 2004

Can you post your timeline in San Diego?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Congrats on the oath letter!

Here is my N400 timeline in San Diego:

PD: 5/21/03
FP: 7/2/03
Interview: 2/10/04

Update on my wait for Oath:

Feb. 12, 2004, I sent a inquiry fax to FBI about my name check status.

Feb. 24, 2004, received email from FBI stating that my name check was done on Jan. 14, 2004. This is almost a month before my interview. But during the interview, I was told that my name check was pending.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my request for a name change during the interview???

Maybe, after FBI, they check with other agencies such as CIA for name check. FBI check is for criminal records. Also, I have heard it takes few weeks before the update shows up on the USCIS mainframe.