Just got passport stamped: And within week - layoff

mkiran

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,
We just gor our green card visa stamps on Oct 4 (CP).
This friday October 12 will be my last working day at my company.
Due to bad economic outlook and weak revenues lay-off will
be coming in two more days. Spoke with my manager, yesterday.

What should I do to safegaurd my GC in this scenario. Management
has been very helpful, all these years. Any letter format or wording
that I might need to get before my last day will be extermely helpful.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this situation.

Please help.

Thanks
Kiran

Nothing to worry about

Once you have the stamp on your passport, there is nothing more that you need from your sponsoring company - ever - especially if the sponsoring company is laying you off themselves. Make sure you get a good severance package, and start looking for another job immediately!

Join the gang - I am in the same situation.

Relax man

Your nearly an American!!!

Once your I485 petition is approved that\'s it
you have the green card.

However, if you want to become a citizen, then please
do get a letter stating your last day of employment at
the company and that you were laid off because the company
was down-sizing.

I\'m in your situation and hope I am as lucky. My last day
will be Nov 13th (6.5 months after AOS filed). Just got FP
notice, got new job lined up to start Jan 1st.

Wish me luck.

Timing was perfect for you in this depressing time.

Sorry to hear about the layoff but timing was on your side. Nothing to worry about as of safeguard GC. It is not you leaving this company, then you are fine.

Citizenship after GC

Hi Bongo,
How does leaving a job after GC can affect your Citizenship application ? Can you please advise ?

SUI

Nothing to worry about, they will not ask you any questions when issuing your plastic card, the card will come by mail.

Though it is sad that you are getting laid off, think on the positive side of things, get a good severance package, keep looking for a better job, (you were stuck with one company for so long) Alos, in the mean time, since you have the PP stamped, apply for the State Unemployment Insurance (SUI), you are now eligible as you are permanent resident, you will need a letter from you comopany that you were laid off. Take your PP alongwith you.

Good luck, and find a good job soon.

From my lawyer

I did ask her this question (and she works for my company - big law firm and big company) anyways, she said if the company lays you off, it is not your fault and you are safe for any questions or concerns tha might come up during citizenship

Unemployment benefits for spouse

We recently got our passports stamped with temporary proofs of permanent residency (I-551 stamps). We got our green cards thru my employer. After few days my wife lost her job. Technically she is not the beneficiary of employment based immigration, I am. Also she was a green card holder at time of losing the job. She was on H1B prior to that.
Can she claim unemployment benefits?
If yes, is that an issue later with the INS?

My feeling is she can file because unemployment benefit is like an insurance program, not government welfare. Any ideas or comments please?

GC, Layoff and Citizenship

Guys,

Our company just laid off a bunch of people and the lawyers came
in to talk to us. The issue of GC and citzenship came up and
it was mentioned that: during the citenzship proceedure, they
INS go back and check to make sure you have been legally
in status for the entire period of stay in the U.S.

The lawyers mentioned that there were a few people who had the
green card retroactively taken off them because they had
been out of status or did something else wrong. Apparently
the check they do for the citenzship proceedure is very
stringent.

I think it can\'t hurt to have a letter stating you were laid
off on a particular date. Particularly since the date of lay-off and
green card approval are so close. Maybe the INS (when the talk
to you regarding citenzhip) may question your intent to work
for the employer? At least you can pull out that letter and show
them you were laid off.

Once again, congratulations, I hope to join you one day!

Bongo A Gogo

No Title

How is it that your wife can\'t be beneficiary ??
I thot, once you get the green card (thru ur spouse), you are equally priviledged !!
Are there any difference between the priviledges of primary Green CArd applicant and secondary (normally spouse or children) Green Card applicant ??
Please throw some light !!

thanks

Vaneetb

I am not saying there are any different previlges for main applicant or the spouse. But I was implying that the main applicant has filled out an affidavit of support, and he is the one offered permanent employment. While the spouse\'s prior employment on H1B had nothing to do with GC. That is why there is a difference in the employment conditions after GC for the main applicant and the spouse. For example, for main applicant it would be very risky to leave the sponsoring employer right away after getting the passport stamped. Not quite so for the spouse who should be free to work anywhere right away. I am just not sure how the unemployment benefits apply in the same context.
Maybe it is that both of them can apply for unemployment benefits if they lose their job involuntarily. Or maybe it is okay for the spouse only. I am just not sure. If anyone knows about particular government regulation or website that explains this more clearly it would be helpful.