Just got Conditional GreenCard – when can I start counting towards citizenship?

e17345

Registered Users (C)
I just got a Conditional Green Card Stamp in my passport this morning... I have a quick question though because I am getting conflicting informatin...

Does my countdown (of 3 years) towards citizenship beging today or do I have to wait until I get my unconditional green card in two years and then start counting 3 years towards my eligibility for citizenship?

Thank you for your time!

Takes 3 year to be eligible assuming you're still married to the US citizen by this time. Start counting down from the day your conditional green card was officially awarded, which should be on your conditional card once you get it (note that this may not be the date your passport was stamped, as was the case for me). Note that you can actually apply for citizenship in 2 years 9 months from the date on which the conditional DC was officially awarded

solasoy

solasoy

Correction. There was a post on this forum about a guy whose application was not approved as he did 2yrs 9months, whereas it should be 3years for marriage cases. Check the posts by name "futcitizen".

3years

Correction. There was a post on this forum about a guy whose application was not approved as he did 2yrs 9months, whereas it should be 3years for marriage cases. Check the posts by name "futcitizen".

the stamp in the passport and on my greencard machted, both were 3-5-03. i've been married with the same spouse who is a cititzen and just got back yesterday were I had my fingerprints taken.