Just a thought....

javagal

Registered Users (C)
US economy is slowing down and the number of GC holders are rising... Any body wants to participate in this discussion?

no i dont want to participate .I think its a lousy topic.

WHy do u have to start such threads in this forum.this forum is for 485 related issues in VSC.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Buddy,
I am sure the viewers in this thread are waiting for their GC and also thinking about the job prospects in this slump economy. I thought if someone can share their views on what next.

Javagal, a questions to you?

Javagal,

Is it not true that , in this slumping economy, the ratio of Jobs-for-GC-holder to Jobs-for-H1B-holder is increasing ?

:confused:

Confu123

As per the present situation you are absolutely right. We are seeing lot of companies preferring GC holders as they are not sponsoring the H1. So I wish everyone in this form a good luck in getting their GC and eventually it will improve the US economy (as brilliant Indians would work for that) and also improve Indian economy as many of us send Dollars to Indian market.

Javagal --- After your retirement from cricket, are you seeking GC/job in the US ? This forum is not for discussing the economy, there's a separate forum on the same board (immigrationportal.com).

habibi

I know more about you in this forum. Lets not discuss more about that.
The economy of US is directly affects on everyone of us and having a GC is a plus or not was the purpose of this thread. I would appreciate if you would throw some light on this.
In the meanwhile, why not javagal apply for GC in US when a person like U applies for? This is not my statement, but this is what you have earned in this forum.

Yes

I know a lot of people in consulting and some of the big names in consulting actually have stopped processing H1B alltogether. These same companies were doing H1B by the score per day during the bubble.
I think the job prospects for GC holder are going to get better unfortunately it is going to be at the expense of the hopes and aspirations of the H1B holders who got laid off and all the would be H1B applicants.
The simple point is this with a number of americans unemployed in iT related fields it is becoming difficult for companies to justify that that particular position is unfillable by a citizen or a gc holder. The point which is a pre requisite for an H1b Visa as we all know.
Depressing topic if you ask me because i think we all know the answer to this.

khek... khek.. famous or infamous.

I may not famous but surely infamous for a green card pateint whose id is pateintGC.

Where have you been, bubble-butt-boy?

Please tell me how I should pronounce Mohahuhuh?
Is it meant to be like the "mwa ha ha ha!" 'evil' laugh?

Or do you just stutter when you type?

Originally posted by javagal
US economy is slowing down and the number of GC holders are rising... Any body wants to participate in this discussion?

Your comment does not make sense as the US economy and the number of GC holders do not relate.

Every year GCs are issued. Irrespective of the US economy going down or going up, the number of GC holders a.k.a. permanent residents will increase. The only way GC holders will decrease is if they left US or the US government stops issuing GCs.

US economy is slowing down. Hmmm.... Wherever or from whomever you get your news, it is way too late. The stock market went down in early 2000 and the bubble burst in late 2000. The market/economy has not been the same since and it has been caught in the downward spiral with no light at the end of the tunnel and the tragedy and the scandals that ensued (and ongoing) making matters even worse.

Think about that. Just a thought and no offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
st8

You are right the US economy started going down since early 2001. However, the forum got into full zoom (may be from the last 6-8 months) as many GC aspirants are posting their messages and I thought it is the good time just to chat something on this.
In this kind of economy I pray the GC holders will have a smooth flow of getting into jobs and I also pray for H1 holders the same. Overall buddy, the US economy is the key point and perhaps the GC comes next.

Funny

Originally posted by habibi
Javagal --- After your retirement from cricket, are you seeking GC/job in the US ? This forum is not for discussing the economy, there's a separate forum on the same board (immigrationportal.com).

Habibi...you have good sence of humor but this could end up being an interesting conversation, lets see what everone has to say about this subject.

Hi guys

This is my first posting at this site - I visit the other sites frequently - so hello to everyone - I will be looking to your postings from now on like a vulture and hope my day of freedom will come some day.(RD - OCT 31, 2001)

Here is what I would like to add - the general opinion is that GC holders will have better opportunity in a slowing economy and I tend to agree. On the flip side of it, lot of projects are getting transferred off-shore(from IT point of view) and permanent employees are getting laid off very quickly. This trend might continue even when the economy heats up. Companies like TCS, WIPRO and INFOSYS also can afford to provide full time emplyees at mass scale for a short term H1 based on projects , which would be very cost effective compared to having a GC holder permanent employee/contractor.

I do not want to discourage any of you guys - specially not the new GC holders who are seventh heaven(quite justifiedly so). I do think that practical consideration is needed that GC is not the end of the tunnel and let us prepare to struggle after that. And my personal opinion - with the kind of lonnnnng hardship, humilliation and aggrevation we go through to get GC - what ever happens next will be a walk in the park.

Share your opinion guys - will appreciate it.

Thanks
Abhijit

I agree for the most part

I agree more IT work will be outsourced to overseas vendors, but that does not mean there will lesser opportunities in the US.

Most of the IT H-1's were given to people who came here to do specific projects and/or consulting work generally hired by companies that placed you on a permanent or temp bases at their clients.

Those positions have now disapeared because of overseas IT outsourcing, however manufacturing, wholesales and other non-IT companies are hiring full time IT employees for the long run and will continue to do so, this is where most of the IT people will get placed in my opinion.

Cheers,

Originally posted by abhi_01201
Hi guys

This is my first posting at this site - I visit the other sites frequently - so hello to everyone - I will be looking to your postings from now on like a vulture and hope my day of freedom will come some day.(RD - OCT 31, 2001)

Here is what I would like to add - the general opinion is that GC holders will have better opportunity in a slowing economy and I tend to agree. On the flip side of it, lot of projects are getting transferred off-shore(from IT point of view) and permanent employees are getting laid off very quickly. This trend might continue even when the economy heats up. Companies like TCS, WIPRO and INFOSYS also can afford to provide full time emplyees at mass scale for a short term H1 based on projects , which would be very cost effective compared to having a GC holder permanent employee/contractor.

I do not want to discourage any of you guys - specially not the new GC holders who are seventh heaven(quite justifiedly so). I do think that practical consideration is needed that GC is not the end of the tunnel and let us prepare to struggle after that. And my personal opinion - with the kind of lonnnnng hardship, humilliation and aggrevation we go through to get GC - what ever happens next will be a walk in the park.

Share your opinion guys - will appreciate it.

Thanks
Abhijit

IT is not the best stable job anymore.

The best job field is medical/ pharmaceutical science. Those business are still good and very minimum lay off. Physcian/ Pharmacist/ nurses/ Physical therapist etc will always have the job in this country with high salary with minimum or no lay off.

I know a guy who has undergraduate pharmacy degree from India. Insted of doing pharmacist licensing, he went easy path. He did some courses in IT field and got a job. Now he is laid off for long time and want to sit for the pharmacist license exam again.

Anyway its just my few cents.

The "irrational exuberance" led to the market bust and also after the decade of continuous US economy growth, a downturn was expected. At least that is what macro-economics suggest. If it were to follow the Japanese pattern and slip into decades of recession with a falling dollar and deflation, then it is going to be a tough life. I personally believe the US economy will revive.

There is still a shortage of "skilled" IT professionals and most companies are cautious and watchful before embarking on new projects/systems/technologies. Bottom line is considered more important now than I would say future growth. Things will look up as the economy improves.

People with GC will definitely have an edge over H1s. Alternately, you can pursue success in other ways. May be that restaurant, grocery, hotel, franchise, etc. :D Or one can always pursue further studies taking a break from work (if time and resources permit) and promote/leverage oneself.

As Habib wrote, Physicians/Nurses and also teachers are at a tremendous shortage in US. The average teacher does not get paid well. Nurses don't get as much as the better paying IT jobs (depends on what you make in IT as I know people in IT making just 50K/year which is the low-end). Studying to become a doctor in US requires a great deal of money and time and very few do it and hence the shortage resulting in huge demand.

As for pharmacists, there is a shortage now. But then it cannot be forever as newer technologies limit 1 or 2 pharmacists to man a pharmacy. The shortage for pharmacists can pay them well now but the career path is a bit stagnant. For those in pharmaceutical science and research, not all big drug companies are doing well and there is a constant pressure on them from the government and public with the perception that they make too much money. (I am in pharma IT and it costs a lot before a drug is discovered and no one is willing to hear about that cost). So, is it a good field? Can't say as it is highly cyclical in nature and goes through ups and downs.

Coming to GC holders in IT, it should improve. No perks/bonuses of yester years, no instant millionaires but should be a high paying job for years to come. But then, it would need more learning/activity to keep abreast of current skills and technologies.
I have noticed that some friends who had been laid off are getting more calls and jobs in the past 2-3 months than about 6-9 months ago. (including H1s)

Also, for all the talk about jobs being outsourced to India, etc., it probably still generates less than 10 Billion US dollars. And that figure includes the people from India who work in the US on H1s and other countries. Just IBM global services alone does $30+ billion per year in IT services. If you took the whole of IT services in US, the work "outsourced and done" in India is still small. Maybe all the work will go there but it is still a long way off.

For example, http://www.rediff.com/money/2002/aug/22wipro.htm
Wipro has a first time $20 Mil deal. EDS $1.5 Bil deal (one of many and there are IBM, Fujitsu, Unisys, CSC, Big 5, etc. ). So, still a long way off for all the work to be outsourced.

And always TCS, Wipro, Infosys and Satyam are mentioned. Add all the employees of these. probably about 50000. That is not really big. The flow of IT outsourcing will occur not because of these companies but if IBM, EDS, etc. go big time in India and China.

Last edited by a moderator: