Jury duty for USC

srini234

Hello

My wife is a US citizen. We have moved permanently to india. they had called her for jury duty,, few months before we had told them that she will back in december, they had called her now. what is the procuedure we should follow so that we have minimal impacts in this.

thanks for response in advance
s
rini

Do you have the letter summoning her for jury duty? It should have a section where you indicate why you should be exempted or disqualified from jury duty, and it should be accompanied by supporting documents. Respond with proof of a Indian resident visa or Indian citizenship.

Most jurisdictions will exempt citizens who are living permanently abroad, but will only postpone it for citizens visiting/living abroad temporarily.

But what makes her problem a little different is that she told them she'd be back in December.

Also, it is often sufficient to demonstrate that you are not living in the same area that the court rules over. So if it is county-level court, you could get out of it if you are living in another county (even in the same state). And if it is a state-level court, you can get out of it you are living in another state.

U.S. Mail and Address Change.

srini234,

How did your wife get informed about the Jury Duty in the first place?
Do you have a friend check your mail in the U.S. on a regular basis?

Is there a way to proactively inform the courts of the county/state that you no longer live at your last address and that you are going to be out of the country for an indeterminate amount of time? (So that they don't send you a call for Jury Duty)

Also, in general, I'm wondering if there's a way in which to not have to check your U.S. mail for every small detail.... Is there a list of agencies to inform of your indetermine absence from the country somewhere on this forum?

A basic list I can think of is:
1) Social Security Administration.
2) IRS.
3) All U.S. Banks.
4) All U.S. Credit Card companies.
5) USCIS? (I don't know if this is required or is a good idea). By the way, does the AR-11 form 10 day address change rule apply once you become a U.S. Citizen?
6) US Postal Service.

... Can't think of any others.