June CP - Chennai Experiences

sv4G

Registered Users (C)

Hi All:

Just to let you all know that mine got approved on 20th June. My experience was just like the others. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Thanks

SV.

Originally posted by sv4G

Hi All:

Just to let you all know that mine got approved on 20th June. My experience was just like the others. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Thanks

SV.

Let me be the first to congratulate you, SV .

A couple of questions..

1. What questions did the consular officer ask you ?
2. How long was the procedure - i.e what was your appointment time - when were you called for the interview etc ?

Thanks,
Kant.

Reply to your questions...

Thanks Kant, chennupandu and Raju595

Check the following questions...

1. Who is calling you to US...?
Given the Company name I am working for.
2. Have you ever been to US before...?
I waited for a sec then the officer told me... Sir, this is a very simple question... :)
then I said, Yes.
3. How long have you been to US...?
5 and 1/2 years...
4. What is your company and what do they do...?
It's a consulting company and we implement... Bla bla bla...
5. How many employees do they have...?
Told him. it is 50.
6. All of them Indians...?
No and said just six... He said, Ok...
7. What is your roll and what do u do...?
Given the details of what I do...
8. What is your Salary...?
xxxxxx
9. When did you go to US first...?
xxx-19xx
10. Where are you staying in US...?
Given the City and State name...
11. How did you find the <State Name>?
It is fine and nice.
12. Are you married...?
Yes.
13. Is she your wife...?
Yes...

Asked my wife the following questions...

1. How long have you been married...?
xxxx
2. What is your marriage day?
xx-xxx-xxxx
3. Have you been to US before...?
Yes.

Then verified all the documents one more time and made us to sign the DS230-II and asked, did you get back your Originals...? I said, Yes. then... He closed the file and said, Sir, your visas has been issued and you are free to leave the consulate. You will be receiving them in about 2 to 3 days. Best of luck and Welcome to US.

2. How long was the procedure - i.e what was your appointment time - when were you called for the interview etc ?

My appointment time was 8 AM in the morning.
The whole procedure took about 3 and 1/2 hours. To tell you, I was the second person to be called that day at 8.10AM to submit the documents to the lady in counter # 8. She was nice too... Usually they are so rude. This process took about 30 minutes. She verified all the documents and asked us to sit and wait for American CO for actual interview. I had to wait until 11:30am to appear before the Consular officer. The interview process took about 10 to 12 minutes with him. That's all... I am through... and relived from all the pains... :)

I picked up the Package on the same day at 7 PM from Blue dart couries ( I used my personal contacts to get my file out of office on the same day). I made sure, everything was fine ( names and all... )

Left India on 21st night and POE was Memphis. I have finished my rest of the formalities ( Finger printing ). It was smooth. Took about 5 minutes and I was told that I will receive the Plastic card in about 3 - 4 months to the address I mentioned on the customs clearens form.

Thanks,
SV.

Lab Test

Other things normal as mentioned by others. Just an advice ... If you are pregnant please carry doctors certificate. Else request the Lister Lab itself to do the test.
Will update as I go ahead!

tax transcripts

Hi

I know you have to submit 3 years tax returns to the consulate for CP. But do they really see if you have filed it correctly or not, I might not have used the correct forms for the last 2 years and IRS didnt seem to care, but the CP office might???

thanks

CP done!

It was easy; I would encourage everyone to consider CP, especially if you have a straight case. I will post all the details in the next few days- We have been in a time crunch- left US on June 20th; reached Chennai on 22nd, lab and medicals on 23rd, just finished interview on 24th and we are in the airport- flying to B'lore by the evening flight! Hold your breath and I will be back with all the details!:D

GCsucks2003,

To answer your question,
As long as you earned what you were supposed to earn and paid taxes on the income, the consular officials don't care what forms you filed with. Good luck!

;)

Re: CP done!

Originally posted by Rajeev Kumar
It was easy; I would encourage everyone to consider CP, especially if you have a straight case. I will post all the details in the next few days- We have been in a time crunch- left US on June 20th; reached Chennai on 22nd, lab and medicals on 23rd, just finished interview on 24th and we are in the airport- flying to B'lore by the evening flight! Hold your breath and I will be back with all the details!:D

Congratulations, Rajeev !

-Kant.

Re: Reply to your questions...

Originally posted by sv4G
Thanks Kant, chennupandu and Raju595

Check the following questions...

1. Who is calling you to US...?
Given the Company name I am working for.
2. Have you ever been to US before...?
I waited for a sec then the officer told me... Sir, this is a very simple question... :)
then I said, Yes.
3. How long have you been to US...?
5 and 1/2 years...
4. What is your company and what do they do...?
It's a consulting company and we implement... Bla bla bla...
5. How many employees do they have...?
Told him. it is 50.
6. All of them Indians...?
No and said just six... He said, Ok...
7. What is your roll and what do u do...?
Given the details of what I do...
8. What is your Salary...?
xxxxxx
9. When did you go to US first...?
xxx-19xx
10. Where are you staying in US...?
Given the City and State name...
11. How did you find the <State Name>?
It is fine and nice.
12. Are you married...?
Yes.
13. Is she your wife...?
Yes...

Asked my wife the following questions...

1. How long have you been married...?
xxxx
2. What is your marriage day?
xx-xxx-xxxx
3. Have you been to US before...?
Yes.

Then verified all the documents one more time and made us to sign the DS230-II and asked, did you get back your Originals...? I said, Yes. then... He closed the file and said, Sir, your visas has been issued and you are free to leave the consulate. You will be receiving them in about 2 to 3 days. Best of luck and Welcome to US.

My appointment time was 8 AM in the morning.
The whole procedure took about 3 and 1/2 hours. To tell you, I was the second person to be called that day at 8.10AM to submit the documents to the lady in counter # 8. She was nice too... Usually they are so rude. This process took about 30 minutes. She verified all the documents and asked us to sit and wait for American CO for actual interview. I had to wait until 11:30am to appear before the Consular officer. The interview process took about 10 to 12 minutes with him. That's all... I am through... and relived from all the pains... :)

I picked up the Package on the same day at 7 PM from Blue dart couries ( I used my personal contacts to get my file out of office on the same day). I made sure, everything was fine ( names and all... )

Left India on 21st night and POE was Memphis. I have finished my rest of the formalities ( Finger printing ). It was smooth. Took about 5 minutes and I was told that I will receive the Plastic card in about 3 - 4 months to the address I mentioned on the customs clearens form.

Thanks,
SV.

SV,

Thank you for your detailed response to my queries. Congrats again !

-Kant.

All,
I had my interview on Friday at 8 am and was out of consulate by 10.30 am.

fairly normal process, with few exceptions

1) First on the day of medical tests, when the doctor opened my lab reports, apparently my test results got mixed up with someone else, and had to coordinate with Lister Labs, to get the correct set.

2) On the day of the interview
- forgot to take my wife old passport (with the maiden name). The consular officer asked for the same, and when she replied that we forgot at home, he seems satisfied.
- asked me about when I have been to US, why I changed 3 jobs in a span of 4 yrs (last one, is for more than 2yrs)
- asked me if I was laid-off of my last job, to which I replied that I changed jobs for better career options.

I will be returning to US next week.

All the best

Details of my CP Saga....

First, we traveled on Air India- that was the only option available as we had time constraints. We had heard a lot of bad things about the airline- but they had decent indian food all through. They also managed to get all our bags ontime and so on... No major drawbacks- except that the hostesses may benefit from a crashcourse on courteousness and politeness!

Crystal residency was good; practical and very convenient. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They have decent food on room service as well. The rooms don't compare to the star hotels, but we were not going to spend a lot of time there anyway.

On Sunday, we went to Spencer's and got polaroid passport pictures for the lab and medicals. and then it was zzzzzs all the way!

Monday morning, we went to Lister lab- fairly simple procedure. Carry Rs 600 per person for fees. blood draw for HIV test and Chest Xray for TB were done. Be there from 730AM to 10AM if you want results the same day. Met Ramsi, Gangadhar, helloGC, kpriya and others. From there a few of us teamed up and went to cameraciti opposite Chola Sheraton for Immistyle photographs. I highly recommend this joint. He made us all look like film stars!
While we were waiting for the photos to be printed, we went to a branch of 'Indian Bank' a few buildings to the right of the studio and got DDs for 'BlueDart Express Ltd' payable at Chennai for RS400 (2 people). then we had some brunch at hotel maris and shopped a litle at Spencer's killing time until it was time to pick up lab reports and Xray from Lister. They won't release reports until 430pm- so no need to be the early bird!

Last edited by a moderator:
Medicals!

Dr Rajkumar is the nicest guy around- but also the slowest doctor I have ever met! We went in at 5pm- our appt was at 530pm. We met the good doctor at the doorstep and he took the reports from us and we were expecting a quick getaway- since there was no other soul in sight. Boy, were we ever wrong! His nurse called us for vitals at 6pm. He met us at 630, but the report was not ready until everybody who was scheduled for that evening had been examined- at around 845pm! The doc is a nice guy and his interaction with us was very jovial, but that does not let him get away with 4 hours of our time spent in the sultry heat of his waiting room with barely a fan- certainly no match for the chennai Heat! His nurses who examine the ladies were also a little crude according to my better half! I am going to remain 'neutral' with my opinion regarding this doctor, if he changes his ways and improves his waiting room and the time spent in examining and preparing reports, I would gladly recommend him to everyone.:rolleyes:

Now... the CP!

We went to the embassy at 940AM; our appt was for 10AM. You don't need to line up in the waiting lines- just tell the security people that you have an Immigrant Visa appt', and show them the yellow appt letter, they will usher you in. People were allowed to bring in purses and handbags. Once inside, we waited in front of the IV counters until 1110AM when we were called to submit our papers at counter 7. The Indian lady was impatient- she made a wisecrack about being able to serve another applicant while she was waiting to get all my papers in order. I simply STARED at her. She was also clumsy, getting papers mixed up and kept asking for papers already submitted. She apologised at the end- which was comical!

After this we waited until 110pm when were called for our interview. The officer was very jovial and kept us comfortable. He wanted to make sure about 2 things- I was on J1 visa previously and he wanted to see the J waiver document and to make sure it included my wife's name in the document. Secondly, he found another person with my wife's name that had been refused a visa before and he sent us back to wait while he checked out the details of that case. A pleasant Indian man called us back at around 2pm to let us know our visae were approved. He was kind enough to answer my questions about how my long name would appear on the actual GC and even changed the order of the names to my liking. Then we left the consulate and flew to B'lore.

The next day- today- we received our IV packages by courier. I will update the forum about POE experience later. Good luck to all the CP aspirants.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations guys!

I have one quick question:

Were you administered any shots during your Dr. Appointment? If so, what are the shots?

Thanks,
Ganesh.