Joint Tax filing ?

Filing

Hello. I am a new member to this forum. I am a income tax consultant practicing US taxes for many years.

I can endorse what Sundar has already said. If you are married, you should file jointly. In order to file jointly, you need the Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), which IRS will issue through its philadelphia office. Form W7 explains that. There is no requirement if your spouse is with you or not. I had a client whose wife stayed in Poland for many years and he was staying here in US and claiming 'Married Filing Joint'.

Please note that your spouse is not a 'Dependent' according to IRS. If you do file jointly, the IRS requirement is that you declare world wide income and elect to file jointly.

I hope this is clear.

Dhiren Shah

DhirenShah said:
Hello. I am a new member to this forum. I am a income tax consultant practicing US taxes for many years.

I can endorse what Sundar has already said. If you are married, you should file jointly. In order to file jointly, you need the Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), which IRS will issue through its philadelphia office. Form W7 explains that. There is no requirement if your spouse is with you or not. I had a client whose wife stayed in Poland for many years and he was staying here in US and claiming 'Married Filing Joint'.

Please note that your spouse is not a 'Dependent' according to IRS. If you do file jointly, the IRS requirement is that you declare world wide income and elect to file jointly.

I hope this is clear.

Dhiren Shah

I took a look at W7 and it is as clear as mud!! Do I need to send in W7 with our tax returns or I file for ITIN first, for the spouse?
Please help

P.S. Getting documents notarized by Consular office is a pain in the neck.
Thank you.

Need some help about this W-7 to get the ITIN for my wife who is in India. Reading instructions it says:

1. Your completed form W-7
2. Your original, completed tax return for which ITIN is needed

I am confused about no. 2. My wife doesn't do anything so is her tax return required or mine?

Will be talking to some tax consulatnts in mean time.

OK, it seems I need to send my 2005 tax return along with the W-7 form for my wife to the address mentioned in W-7 form. Now I have another question about the notary:

Would the notary need to see the original passport of my wife or a copy is enough?

OK, it seems I need to send my 2005 tax return along with the W-7 form for my wife to the address mentioned in W-7 form. Now I have another question about the notary:

You need to send the following to Philadelphia address mentioned in the W-7

1. Completed W-7 form with your wife's signature. You can provide your US mailing address to receive the ITIN number via mail.

2. Your completed 2005 paper return with both of your signatures. Remember, you are filing jointly and therefore she needs to sign. Fax signatures are accepted.

3. Notorized copy of your wife's Passport.

Would the notary need to see the original passport of my wife or a copy is enough?

You would need original, but it depends on the individual notorizing it. You may be able to get away with it or should I say without it.

Thanks GeeC very much.

Hopefully last question, do I send my federal return only or my state return as well? The SSN field on these returns would be blank in case of my wife.

Thanks GeeC very much.

Hopefully last question, do I send my federal return only or my state return as well?

You only need to send your Federal return. Once the ITIN unit assings a number, your return gets processed like a regular return.

The SSN field on these returns would be blank in case of my wife

Type "Applied for" in the SSN field of your wife's return (both state and fed). You will have to attach your federal return with your state filing.