joint sponsor slows the process of Green card?

golubika

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am a US citizen. My husband is in the US on a H1B visa.
My income is not enough to cover 125% of the poverty guidelines (I only work part time). My husband and I have been married almost two years and lived in the same household all this time.
I understood that we can include his income in I-864. However, some lawyer said that it will slow down the process of getting his green card.

Is this is a case?

Thank you very much,

Golubika

Sponsorship

Well. I am not a lawyer.

But my general understanding is that you cannot include the income of the person whom you are sponsoring. Its like your husband is partly sponsoring himself.

I do for sure that you can have your relative or friend who is PR or USC to jointly sponsor (with you) your husband.

sponsorship

Mthakkar,

Thank you for your reply.

In any case, does having a joint sponsor slow the procces of getting my husband a green card?

Thank you

mthakkar said:
Well. I am not a lawyer.

But my general understanding is that you cannot include the income of the person whom you are sponsoring. Its like your husband is partly sponsoring himself.

I do for sure that you can have your relative or friend who is PR or USC to jointly sponsor (with you) your husband.

Unfortunately, your general understanding is incorrect. You can include the income of your husband (who you are sponsoring) using I-864A if he has been living in the same household for more than 6 months (which is true for golubika). I too have done this.

I dont think it should slow down the process. I have got an AOS interview call for within 5 months of when I applied which is pretty fast. I dont think it slowed down my case at least.

Go Bucks

Hi,

I am on H1B and my wife is a student and USC. We filed for my AOS showing my income for support.

vroom

Vroom,

Did you get your GC or still waiting? How long is it? Where did you file?

Thank you in advance

I have applied this year and i am waiting for gettting my GC. filed in philly.

I got my EAD and AP approved from the processing timelines for philly District Office it is taking 18months to get approved.