Joef and other gurus, please answer this urgently

crazygc

Registered Users (C)
I have been in the US for around 6.5 years, first on student visa and then on work visa (H1). In December I took a 1 year international assignment (in India) with my company. I still get paid in US dollars, however I have given up my apartment (which I used to rent), and found a place to stay in India for 1 year. I have my interview for Consular Processing for GreenCard on Feb 20th.
Here is my dilemma:
Once my interview gets finished on Feb20th, I know that I have to enter the US within 6 months. Infact, I am planning to be in the US after a couple of weeks of the interview itself.
However, I have to be in India till December 2002. I can make a few short trips (for a week or so).
1. Now, what does this whole thing mean to my soon-to-be-acquired green-card. I have heard that I need to stay in the US, and need to have a residence there. I will be violating both these. Is this a big problem?
2. Also, I have a valid reason to be out of the US (the same employer that sponsored me for gc has me on an international assignment). Does INS consider these as valid?
3. I have heard that I can apply for re-entry permit if I am going to be out for more than a year. I am going to be out for about 9 to 10 months after my interview. So, what to do in this case?
4. Is this serious enough to consider postponing my appointment?
5. What other alternatives do I have
Please help

No Title

1. Now, what does this whole thing mean to my soon-to-be-acquired green-card. I have heard that I need to stay in the US, and need to have a residence there. I will be violating both these. Is this a big problem?
Only if you are not admitted to the US or violate your visa rules.

2. Also, I have a valid reason to be out of the US (the same employer that sponsored me for gc has me on an international assignment). Does INS consider these as valid?
No.

3. I have heard that I can apply for re-entry permit if I am going to be out for more than a year. I am going to be out for about 9 to 10 months after my interview. So, what to do in this case?
You are allowed up to 6 months before coming to the US. Use it.
When you come here, you may apply for I131 in the US. You will have 3-4 months left till Dec, which is OK to be out.

4. Is this serious enough to consider postponing my appointment?
If you are absolutely sure you can retain your position for 4 months, you may try to postpone the interview by 3-4 months so when you come here you may stay.

5. What other alternatives do I have
I don\'t know of any other

interesting problem - more for gurus

I donot know how this works, but would be very interested to see what other gurus like Joef have to say

Joef - haven\'t heard from you on this

Joef,
This is a topic where you have shown lot of expertise.
Can you please post your thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance

No Title

JoeF, I think you are a great guy and you gave me and other lots of information. You have my sympathy on this one :)

It\'s amazing the amount of life and death questions that people are asking on this board assuming that they will get the proper answer. Some of the questions don\'t even have a good answer, it\'s more of a process.

It is even more annoying when some of the people obviously have the means to get proper assitance from a professional person and do them selves a HUGE favor.

JoeF, please keep posting useful information for fun, whenever you stumble upon it. I read all your postings :)

THANKS!