• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

jobs in usa

I think we need to establish few categories here - in my opinion everyone made a valid point.

Entry level jobs, low skilled jobs, jobs for people with poor or no English at all can be both approached in the old school way (family, friends, community, asking around with CV in your hand) and a modern way - online! Some job agencies advertise short contracts and simple jobs online so saying that there is no chance of finding a low skilled position on the internet is not true.

Now for professionals and people with various experience but no English it is quite essential to find any kind of work and study the language! Good language skills and experience can make up for lack of American qualifications ( because of globalization companies around the world are using let's say the same lean improvements technics and a quality technician working for Skoda in Czech Republic will use same processes as his equivalent working for GM and Ford, they all hail from Japan anyway - lean technics I mean) but you need to be able to prove your skills during the interview - good CV is not gonna cut it on it's own.

Professionals (engineers, managers, accountants, etc.) should be fine looking online as long as they are super fluent in English, have good, proven experience and have worked for globally recognized organizations especially American or British corporations.

I wouldn't take my word as "the law of the land" but that's what I gathered from talking to my friends from different backgrounds and origins.

Judging from people I know, and a previous job offer I got (without really trying particularly hard tbh but I realise that was lucky) I think you're being too narrow re the professionals. A recognised degree, not necessarily from a western country, and/or decent experience should be enough for a job, though you may spend a while looking.

And to be blunt, I wouldn't like to be looking for an entry level/unskilled job anywhere I didn't speak the language well - I don't think that's anything peculiar to the US.

In my opinion, most Americans are not super fluent in English.... :eek:

:D

And to be blunt, I wouldn't like to be looking for an entry level/unskilled job anywhere I didn't speak the language well - I don't think that's anything peculiar to the US.

I've met some pretty hardcore people in the UK, immigrating without knowing a single word in English and working their butts off. Portuguese cleaner in my gym is one of them. Hard working guy, slowly is getting "there". I think you have to rock a pair of seriously ( pardon my French -Spanish in this case :D ) "cojones"! I think every country can benefit from immigrants like that!!!!!

I've met some pretty hardcore people in the UK, immigrating without knowing a single word in English and working their butts off. Portuguese cleaner in my gym is one of them. Hard working guy, slowly is getting "there". I think you have to rock a pair of seriously ( pardon my French -Spanish in this case :D ) "cojones"! I think every country can benefit from immigrants like that!!!!!

Sure - but I imagine it's not pleasant to *be* that person. Still, if being a cleaner in a gym (or whatever) is better than what you can do back home or a first step on a ladder, then everyone benefits. I was just observing that it's that much harder to compete in the unskilled market when the economy is weak and you don't speak the language, and you are essentially looking for a job that practically anyone can do,

i hav a problem....during my second letter form i wrote the adderss of californina now i'm staying here in texas now where is my green card available....i've submit the pacakge given by embassy here in dallus airport...and what might be it's solution guys....?

Let me tell u one thing, i am here in the US, if u want to work u need : network !!! otherwise u need to wait !

even for a job in subway you need a network, and i am talking seriously

forget about monster careerbuilder, they all crap
Monster, indeed ... are not for subway or mcdonald jobs... But true, you need network unless you are a doctor or engineer

i hav a problem....during my second letter form i wrote the adderss of californina now i'm staying here in texas now where is my green card available....i've submit the pacakge given by embassy here in dallus airport...and what might be it's solution guys....?

Where do you stay in Texas? I am concidering 2 states in case I win and they are California (San Francisco Bay area) and Texas (Austin).
How do you find that state? I know the living cost is very low and the houses are very cheap, but the quality of life? (For the job, you may have noticed I mentioned 2 silicon hubs (San Francisco and Austin) because that is my branch.

Where do you stay in Texas? I am concidering 2 states in case I win and they are California (San Francisco Bay area) and Texas (Austin).
How do you find that state? I know the living cost is very low and the houses are very cheap, but the quality of life? (For the job, you may have noticed I mentioned 2 silicon hubs (San Francisco and Austin) because that is my branch.
ya it's absolutely true what u are saying about texas....i'm here in euless, texas

100% agree

100% agree with you,without networking not job is not possible ,i came here in march 2013 ,iam from punjab even thou have masters in Comp Sc and 3 years Experience working in software company in India, is wast-full here its been over 8 months here could not find a job ,bc i dont have social life here no networking ,i live with my wife she is white woman and busy 24/7, and there is no desi people in this town , i applied on monsters, indeed and bunch of other websites no luck ,its stress full ,and yes without networking u cant find job at all .iam still looking, i cant find a job on freaking gas station i dont know its my shity luck or what :( ,
Let me tell u one thing, i am here in the US, if u want to work u need : network !!! otherwise u need to wait !

even for a job in subway you need a network, and i am talking seriously

forget about monster careerbuilder, they all crap

how about irrigation works,since some of us we are agricultural engineers,and we want to work in agricultural field,is there any chance to work on agro-engineering work?

how about irrigation works,since some of us we are agricultural engineers,and we want to work in agricultural field,is there any chance to work on agro-engineering work?

There is a lot of that but you must realise that the US already has highly mechanized and developed agricultural economies in place and even with those factors and an excellent climate, agriculture is still not known for providing lucrative opportunity - so their view of "outsiders" may be as labor, not the engineers.

There's prospect for agricultural engineers in USA in large agricultural companies like ConAgra and Monsanto. Other than that, there's not much around.

100% agree with you,without networking not job is not possible ,i came here in march 2013 ,iam from punjab even thou have masters in Comp Sc and 3 years Experience working in software company in India, is wast-full here its been over 8 months here could not find a job ,bc i dont have social life here no networking ,i live with my wife she is white woman and busy 24/7, and there is no desi people in this town , i applied on monsters, indeed and bunch of other websites no luck ,its stress full ,and yes without networking u cant find job at all .iam still looking, i cant find a job on freaking gas station i dont know its my shity luck or what :( ,

You are probably not good enough. My spouse got easily a job in Comp Sc. from overseas.

Since you're lucky enough to have a GC and a spouse that earns for the household, you can begin networking.
- Join a gym.
- Volunteer with non-profit organizations.
- Take classes at your local college / university.

Basically you need to mingle. If there are no other Indians around in your town, then you need to start socializing with Americans. The more you get involved, the more people you know, and the less 'foreign' you appear and sound. The fact of the matter is that companies (especially in smaller towns like yours) look for a candidate with excellent communication skills, who will have no problem fitting in with American workers. No, knowing English alone is not enough, you need to be able to communicate in English the way Americans do.

When I still talked and acted like a foreigner, most Americans treated me like a foreigner.

By the way, you really need to work on your correspondence skills. If this is how you write on your cover letter to potential employers, no wonder you're not getting any job offer. Go to your local library and find a book on the topic.

Since you're lucky enough to have a GC and a spouse that earns for the household, you can begin networking.
- Join a gym.
- Volunteer with non-profit organizations.
- Take classes at your local college / university.

Basically you need to mingle. If there are no other Indians around in your town, then you need to start socializing with Americans. The more you get involved, the more people you know, and the less 'foreign' you appear and sound. The fact of the matter is that companies (especially in smaller towns like yours) look for a candidate with excellent communication skills, who will have no problem fitting in with American workers. No, knowing English alone is not enough, you need to be able to communicate in English the way Americans do.

When I still talked and acted like a foreigner, most Americans treated me like a foreigner.

By the way, you really need to work on your correspondence skills. If this is how you write on your cover letter to potential employers, no wonder you're not getting any job offer. Go to your local library and find a book on the topic.

u are harsh :confused:

Don't think it is that harsh. Just a straight forward, blunt response. Nobody said it will be a walk in a park when you moved to the US, right? Don't give up and keep trying. As Hexa and others said you need to network, blend in (start with using jeezz, darn, yall and absolutely in every sentence :D :D :D) and things should work out for you. Good luck.

You haven't found a job today despite having a master's degree and three years of experience, right? That's reality, and it's much harsher than my mere words. You can choose to improve and network, or you can stay the way you are and remain jobless. Your choice.