• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

jobs in usa

Depends on the type of job, but you could try job search engines or job boards such as http://www.monster.com/

If one were to use monster.com to search for jobs without speaking English fluently and having at least a Bachelor's degree from an accredited western university, they would never even get an interview, even if they applied to every single listing for years. This is one of the worst advices I've ever read on here.

Here is my suggestion: find members of your community and talk to them. See where they work and try to get them to get you a job, so that you can learn English while working. Also, take ESL classes at a community college to learn English faster. With fluent English, the sky is the limit. You can continue going to college and getting a degree in something useful (computer science, science, engineering) and then you can make good money.

Let me tell u one thing, i am here in the US, if u want to work u need : network !!! otherwise u need to wait !

even for a job in subway you need a network, and i am talking seriously

forget about monster careerbuilder, they all crap

Let me tell u one thing, i am here in the US, if u want to work u need : network !!! otherwise u need to wait !

even for a job in subway you need a network, and i am talking seriously

forget about monster careerbuilder, they all crap
so can u tell me how to get into the n/w.....

If one were to use monster.com to search for jobs without speaking English fluently and having at least a Bachelor's degree from an accredited western university, they would never even get an interview, even if they applied to every single listing for years. This is one of the worst advices I've ever read on here.

Here is my suggestion: find members of your community and talk to them. See where they work and try to get them to get you a job, so that you can learn English while working. Also, take ESL classes at a community college to learn English faster. With fluent English, the sky is the limit. You can continue going to college and getting a degree in something useful (computer science, science, engineering) and then you can make good money.

tq man

I rarely look for work since clients generally find me - but if I do look I always use online search boards like monster.com - because depending on the work you do it can be very accurate for available jobs. In my line of business (IT) it is almost inconceivable that a job is NOT advertised on boards such as monster.com.

The comment about needing a Western degree is not even close to being true. I don't have a degree and do very well without it. So do not worry about that. MANY software engineers come from India for example and get excellent jobs with degrees earned in Indian universities.

The advice given above about working within your community is good advice but again it depends what sort of work you are looking for.

It all depends on your skill level. For professional level jobs you can independently use online resources and they work very well.

For lower skill level jobs use a local temp agency to get in the workforce and gradually build a network and career.

so can u tell me how to get into the n/w.....

Start with ur community, it will be very helpful to get a starting job, again i can hire someone that i know better that i do not know, ask ur friends in USA and friends of ur friends they can hook u up in something, once u put ur foot , u try to look for better , prepare a very good resume, and give it to people, it doesn't hurt, use online applying yes, but u have to know, u need patience for that, coz it takes time !

The community is a good place to start when you are looking for a manual or entry-level job, it's not the best for a professional or managerial one.

I think we need to establish few categories here - in my opinion everyone made a valid point.

Entry level jobs, low skilled jobs, jobs for people with poor or no English at all can be both approached in the old school way (family, friends, community, asking around with CV in your hand) and a modern way - online! Some job agencies advertise short contracts and simple jobs online so saying that there is no chance of finding a low skilled position on the internet is not true.

Now for professionals and people with various experience but no English it is quite essential to find any kind of work and study the language! Good language skills and experience can make up for lack of American qualifications ( because of globalization companies around the world are using let's say the same lean improvements technics and a quality technician working for Skoda in Czech Republic will use same processes as his equivalent working for GM and Ford, they all hail from Japan anyway - lean technics I mean) but you need to be able to prove your skills during the interview - good CV is not gonna cut it on it's own.

Professionals (engineers, managers, accountants, etc.) should be fine looking online as long as they are super fluent in English, have good, proven experience and have worked for globally recognized organizations especially American or British corporations.

I wouldn't take my word as "the law of the land" but that's what I gathered from talking to my friends from different backgrounds and origins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super fluent English is not required for many professional and high paying jobs, particularly tech jobs. I think people should not get discouraged if they have concerns over their English fluency.

Of course, there is always room for improvement and people should take action to better themselves.

Super fluent English is not required for many professional and high paying jobs, particularly tech jobs. I think people should not get discouraged if they have concerns over their English fluency.

Of course, there is always room for improvement and people should take action to better themselves.

In my opinion, most Americans are not super fluent in English.... :eek:

In my opinion, most Americans are not super fluent in English.... :eek:

LOL.

I'm sure you're familiar with the joke that goes like this:

What do you call someone that speaks three languages? --Trilingual
What do you call someone that speaks two languages? --Bilingual
What do you call someone that speaks only one language? --American

Maybe they should modify it to say "what do you call a person that barely speaks one language?" :)

if we should talk about superfluent english,i think we should give that to the british.

You've obviously never met a Geordie or a Scouse then. If we include the Scots, then try understanding a Glaswegian! Good luck with that.

if we should talk about superfluent english,i think we should give that to the british.

20 years ago that was true. Now people have dumbed the language down too as the Americans did. I was taught English by properly speaking English lady and outside of work where most of people have a degree at least I very rarely hear people using the Queen's language properly :)

Not to say that my English is perfect but I try my best.

LOL.

I'm sure you're familiar with the joke that goes like this:

What do you call someone that speaks three languages? --Trilingual
What do you call someone that speaks two languages? --Bilingual
What do you call someone that speaks only one language? --American

Maybe they should modify it to say "what do you call a person that barely speaks one language?" :)

Never heard that one - but yes, very true! My brother pointed out that my daughter (who is 5 years old and bilingual) would be a rarity in California - she will be the typical blonde, blue eyed valley girl but she will be able to talk to the latinas too!

You've obviously never met a Geordie or a Scouse then. If we include the Scots, then try understanding a Glaswegian! Good luck with that.

True. I am Scottish (although you would never guess from my southern accent), but yep I can barely understand Geordies, Scousers or Glaswegians. That's not a great loss though. :p

20 years ago that was true. Now people have dumbed the language down too as the Americans did.

Very true indeed.

True. I am Scottish (although you would never guess from my southern accent), but yep I can barely understand Geordies, Scousers or Glaswegians. That's not a great loss though.
I'll move to Scotland by end of the year :)