Job offer rescinded due to TN

dell11

I received a job offer from a major tire manufacturer last week as a lead electrical engineer. This was in kentucky.

During the negotiation process, I asked him for a TN visa support letter.

He cancelled my offer saying that he cannot give such a letter out.

Do i really need a letter or can i just show my offer letter at the border and get a TN. This is for future opportunities.

You do need a TN letter (which is separate than the offer letter) that describes your job responsibilities and the (related) job title.

What exactly is written in the TN letter that is not captured in the offer letter?

I have a copy of the job description from the posting, wouldn't that be the same thing?

>>What exactly is written in the TN letter that is not captured in the offer letter?
TN letter has specific details necessary to obtain TN status - such as TN job category (i.e. job title which could be different than company's "internal" job title), job responsibilities and the duration.

The letter helps the officer decide if the job is eligible for TN status / if the TN should be granted.

So it is required for all applicant?

Can i get a lawyer to help me with this letter? This would be on my own expense.

You would still need the sponsor to sign it.
You should get buy-in from them before showing up with a letter. But you can certainly explain how simple it is, and what that letter contains.

Is the TN support letter considered sponsorship?

The employer does not do sponsorship. The refused to give letter as well after they discussed with the legal team.

The job offer is signed, it can be confirmed by the border agent.

So, if i appeared at the border with the offer letter only. TN is not possible, is that what i am hearing?

If the sponsor will not cooperate, then your only hope is to show up at border with what you have. If denied, then it is back in sponsor's court. The main thing it is missing is duration of three years or less, which is a must. Sometimes, the internal job title makes it obvious what TN category it is.

Like it or not, they will have to sponsor you if you are going to work there.

The job offer states that it is full time. There is no duration written for full time.

The job offer states that it is a "lead electrical engineer".

There is just one category for the job.

I explained the support letter details to the employer, he maintained that he will not provide a support letter.

He accused it of being visa sponsorship.

Last edited:
It is sponsorship. They would be sponsoring you.
As has been pointed out (twice), without duration, straight offer letters simply don't work.
But you can certainly try.

All the best. There are lots of companies out there willing to sponsor TNs.

Last edited:
This topic was discussed earlier.

There was consensus that TN is not sponsorship as it does not require an employer petition.

The letter is just a support letter.

Looks like lot of my effort got wasted.

If you need a sponsor, it is sponsorship. It doesn't require a formal petition sent to the USCIS like most other non-immigrant processes, but, as you are seeing, when it looks like sponsorship and quacks like sponsorship, employers recognize it as sponsorship.

the only reason to "say" it isn't sponsorship is to get past the online vetting process, since most firms wont do H1-B. It gives the applicant a chance explain (like you did) what TN sponsorship (or, if you insist "support") entails. They simply didn't buy it.

Last edited:
This topic was discussed earlier.

There was consensus that TN is not sponsorship as it does not require an employer petition.

The letter is just a support letter.

Looks like lot of my effort got wasted.
I've been in this exact situation before. Maybe empty words of encouragement but you we're good enough to get to the offer stage, you can definitely pull it off again (but hopefully with an Employer that's willing to do the simple deed of filling out some blanks and signing a document).. You can do it!