Job Offer, need information about pre-completion OPT

moonfall

Hello all,

I'm a second year PhD student, I have a job offer from a big semiconductor company. What's are my options to be able to join the company. Can I apply for pre-completion OPT and work FULL TIME?. The information out there is really confusing. I'm not planning on quitting my PhD, I want to join the company full time and work on my dissertation at the same time. The company is willing to apply for my H-1B in April. Any help will be much appreciated...Thank you.

During school session, you can only work 20 hours/week with pre-completion OPT.
It is not confusing at all.
The relevant parts of the law (8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(ii)) say:
ii) Optional practical training--
(A) Consistent with the application and approval process in paragraph (f)(11) of this section, a student may apply to USCIS for authorization for temporary employment for optional practical training directly related to the student's major area of study. The student may not begin optional practical training until the date indicated on his or her employment authorization document, Form I-766. A student may be granted authorization to engage in temporary employment for optional practical training: (Paragraph (f) (10(ii)(A) revised 4/8/08; 73 FR 18944 ) (Paragraph (f)(10)(ii)(A) revised effective 1/1/03; 67 FR 76256 )
( 1 ) During the student's annual vacation and at other times when school is not in session, if the student is currently enrolled, and is eligible for registration and intends to register for the next term or session;
( 2 ) While school is in session, provided that practical training does not exceed 20 hours a week while school is in session;