Job Market

harapattawaiter

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
Anybody looking for job can tell me how does the job market look. Are the companies hiring? Forgive me for posting non-immigration stuff.
Thanks

Not very good, if you are looking for sub-contracting opportunities.

For, direct fulltime placements, I am getting calls but not many.

FYI-I am a Sr. DBA (Sybase, Oracle, MS SQL Server)

WIN

i think java is doing good in boston, new york area. I heard from few of my friends that they got placed very fast in these regions.

I would say the overall IT job market is still good. My friends circle and also the people whom i know otherwise, include about 40 people and none of them are on bench. I heard that ASP and C# are doing better than Java.

I am looking for full time positon and planning to switch job once my I 485 gets approved as right now I am contracting. Is there any web site through which I could know the IT companies in my area, as I belive most of the job postings on standard job sites like dice, monster are fake.

Job Market for fresh graduates

Is there any scope for fresh BE(Computer Science ) graduates. If some of you know of any opportunities, let me know...Any reply will be appreciated.

Thanks

Job market for IT and non IT people

For non IT people
If you are a GC holder no problem to find a job (due to overall economy salary might not make you happy).
If you are very experienced in your field you will just fly through on job search.
If you are on H1 better try to stick on your current one unless you are forced to move.
For fresh non-immigrant it is definetly difficult, however finding a job depends on your luck and how persistant you are.

For IT people
Even for GC holder it's difficult to find suitable job.
If you are very good you will find good job, you need to constantly learn new stuff to keep you updated.
If you are on H1 better try to stick on your current one unless you are forced to move.
For sub-contractors: you know the drill keep the client and employer happy simultaneously.
For fresh non-immigrant it is definetly difficult, as an alternative try to pursue Ph.D. or get married an American passport holder.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Its tough!

As far As I know, Its tough out there in short term. If you can wait long enough (3 - 4 months) then there are good chances. Recently (around April) I was in the job market, not many calls initially and for the last month or so, I received close to 10 calls.

What I can say is that there are some jobs but most of them are of contracting 3-4 months, I think there are less permanent positons in the IT job market.

I would put you in non-IT field. Please see my comments on that.

If you have expertise in your area you will get a job. You might have hard time if you are just fresh out of the college. Good Luck!

Originally posted by 140_when?
How about electrical engineering ?

I can speak for quant/analyst/decision sciences kinds of job - there doesn't seem to be a dip in those positions (which were few to begin with). I haven't seen any pre-conditions on GC/H1B. Sponsorship doesnt seem to be a problem. Folks with IT+science/engg/CS/OR background may want to explore these opportunities.

typical skills needed : Familiarity with SAS/SPSS/Clementine or some other stats package, ORACLE/SYBASE (experience with any relational DB) , UNIX/NT etc.

check www.kdnuggets.com for these kind of positions.

Typical industries : financial services (mortgage, insurance, consumer credit or auto finance), telecom, marketing/sales within retail/pharma etc.

Salary not quite as much as IT dev leads but close (~10% less)