Job change while EAD Renewal pending

Ajith

Registered Users (C)
I am in a big mess and I seek expert advice.

My current EAD expires on 12/17/02 and a renewal has been filed on 11/07/02. I hear that TSC is taking about 60+ days. In the meantime I have lost my job.

What happens if I change my jobs now, before my current EAD expires? Will the receipt# be sufficient to keep working while the renewal is pending or am I barred from working at all?

Please let me know your opinion and/or any situation this has happened before. What are my options?

Thanks
-Ajith

Last edited by a moderator:
You can not work with EAD receipt# it is not EAD, for work you need to have Valid EAD
If you work without EAD then the employer can be fined and your work will be illegal.
Every Lawyer says that always apply your EAD 6 months before expiry date of current EAD and apply for the dependet H4 extension 3-4 months before expiry but...

From when do I count the 90 days to get the interim EAD? Is it from the date the application mailed or is it the receipt date?

EAD receipt

You could find a job and work for new employer using current valid EAD before it expires. Stop working (take vacation or leave on absence) when it expires and resume working when you get new EAD approved.

You have to maintian legal status beside the EAD stuff. I think the EAD renew receipt is enough to keep you legally staying here but not working for anyone.

Re: EAD receipt

Originally posted by c4naperville
You have to maintian legal status beside the EAD stuff. I think the EAD renew receipt is enough to keep you legally staying here but not working for anyone.

Pending I-485 is all you need to maintain legal status. EAD gives you the right to work provided your I-485 is pending.