Job change to Fellowship issues!!

anunavin

Registered Users (C)
I am not as eloquent and informed as many of you here on the forum and I would appreciate if somebody could answer my question in an easy to understand language.

I am working as a hospitalist (internist) for a private firm after completing my residency in internal medicine in 2003 on H-1B. Applied through EB-2 category. My priority date is september 2003. Labour and I-140 approved. I485 filed and pending more than 180 days. I am currently working on EAD. This is my 6th year of H-1B (expires in september '06). My wife initially on H-4 is working as an internal medicine resident (1st year) on EAD.

1. Can I change back to a Nephrology fellowship spanning 2 years (technically in the same profession but significantly different income)? would it jeopardize both mine and my wife's GC application?

2. FBI name check is still pending. What can I do about it?

3. How does AC-21 law help me and should I renew my H-1B?

Please answer as soon as possible!!

anunavin said:
1. Can I change back to a Nephrology fellowship spanning 2 years (technically in the same profession but significantly different income)? would it jeopardize both mine and my wife's GC application?

are you worried because of different income or something else? be clear about your concerns to get answers from this forum.

If your I-140 is approved and want to invoke AC21 with higher salary, that shouldn't be a problem based on new AC21 memo. again, be clear and precise with your question. I am still not sure what you are uptight about.

dyingforgc said:
are you worried because of different income or something else? be clear about your concerns to get answers from this forum.

If your I-140 is approved and want to invoke AC21 with higher salary, that shouldn't be a problem based on new AC21 memo. again, be clear and precise with your question. I am still not sure what you are uptight about.

The new job(fellowship) has a much lower salary as compared to my salary now. Also, thanks a lot for replying. I really do appreciate any thoughts you may have on the issues I am facing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellowship...

1. you may NOT change to a fellowship - a fellowship is a TEMPORARY job - it is training, and the I485 is being applied for a PERMANENT job. AC21 would not come into play for above reasons and also for the reason that while both jobs maintain patient care, the jobs are significantly different in terms of kind of patient care and resposibility.

2. it would be highly recommended to maintain your current job till ure I485 is approved, then work for 6-12 months with the same hospitalist position, then go for fellowship - besides, these days nephrology fellowships are easy to come by and likely will be available in the future (many are filled only by FMGs!).

3. FBI name check - I485 has only been pending for 6months - wait and stick it out. Mine took 18months. See other threads on this board.