Job Change - Problem?

kongkong03

Registered Users (C)
Hello all experts,
I have submitted my I-485 last year (ND 6/17/02) to TSC. My I- 140 was approved in April 2002. I am in H1B visa with my current employer and will expire in Jan 2004. I have already received my second EAD card. No FP yet. I may change my job soon.
Is that going to create a problem with my GC application? What is AR-11? Do I need to inform BCIS about the job change?

You can change.

You can change the job. No problem with GC. You have to use the Portablity Act AC21. Please read other posts for more information or contact Lawyer. AR-11 form is to notify your address change to BCIS.

Please correct if I am wrong.

aravind741

How to define job similarity

My current job title is design engineer for product design and manufacturing support in the oil and gas industry. I possess BSME degree.

The new job is in the consumer equipment industry. However, the title is Mechanical Engineer.

Will BCIS see the similarity even through the title and industry is different. Or if the similarity is totally based on functionality of the job?

From an AC21 perspective, the key is to have the job responsibilities similar to the approved LC. It doesn't matter what industry you work. It would be in your complete favor, if you have the exact same title and exact same wordings for your job responsibilities mentioned in your LC. This would help in drafting a AC21 support letter.

Good Luck.

Cheers
anonymous