January Mumbai Interview Thread

Info from Mumbai consulate

My dad went to the Mumbai consulate today and has the following info:

1. My interview is on Jan 22nd. I was expecting a first week of Jan interview and had bought tickets accordingly. The lady had told me two times it would be first week of Jan.
2. They need police clearances from ( i ) office in US, (ii) Police
clearance from here. Police dept. does not give cert. They act on the
request from passport authority.
These are a MUST. They (embassy) say it is your botheration.
3.Interview date can be postponed. Present availability is after about two and half months from the date of your request.
4. I can apply for police clearance only when I am in India. It takes about 15 days.

What a mess!!

MJ1

Did your parents receive the P4 from the consulate thru snail mail?
If not then did they took one from the counter?. Please advise.
Thanks

Here are the details of the P4 concerning PCC, etc....

>

FOR ALL IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICANTS: IMPORTANT NOTICE

1. As of January 1, 2002, ALL immigrant visa applicants over age 16 MUST
present Indian Police Certificates. Two certificates must be obtained as
follows: 1) a certificate from your local police station; 2) a certificate
from your Regional Passport Office.

2. For security reasons, applicants are NOT permitted to carry sealed
envelopes into the consulate, except for the medical report from the panel
physician. When you appear for your interview, please remove all required
documents from envelopes prior to entering the building. The Medical Report
SHOULD REMAIN SEALED.

3. Please read carefully the requirements regarding evidence of financial
support in the U.S. Please bring ALL required documents from the petitioner
and (if required) the joint sponsor on your FIRST visit. AVOID THE EXPENSE
AND INCONVENIENCE OF A SECOND TRIP TO THE CONSULATE. >
NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE REGARDING SPONSORS\' MINIMUM INCOME REQUIREMENTS.
>

>

Hope this helps.

MJ1

Your info is little unclear to me. cud u eloborate?
They need police clearances from ( i ) office in US,
SURESH> office in US? which office? Indian Consulate?
(ii) Police
clearance from here.
SURESH>from here? WHERE
Plz reply

IluvGC

No, they did not receive thru snail mail.
They were handed over a few assorted forms that I am guessing makes packet 4.
MJ1

VS

Office in US: Indian consulate.
PCC from here: from India.
Sorry abt the confusion.
MJ1

Should my wife\'s employment letter be notarized?...

I\'m the primary applicant. I remember a few people mention that spouse\'s emp ltr is not required since they rarely ask for it. Just wanted a reconfirmation. Thanks.

Notarized letter not reqd for spouse.

But if it does not cost you anything, why not get it notarized?
MJ1

My take on PCC and strategy -

My interview is on 2nd January - the first day of this new regulation.

I haven\'t yet applied for a PCC here in US (thinking of now going to NY tomorrow and give atleast the application). I am in process of getting information of how to get it from regional passport office in India.

Worst case scenario is I won\'t have a PCC when I go for my interview. BUT, I am NOT going to postpone my interview as it takes about 2 months to get another date. Rather, I would still go on 2nd and what will happen is that the US Consulate will not give me visa that day based on INCOMPLETE documentation. They will ask me to come anyday, anytime with the missing papers and get the visa. (This is same as if you were missing say medical reports or BC or something...)

This way I don\'t have to postpone my date and thus save a lot of time.

Bottom Line : They are NOT going to reject my petition just based on missing PCC. Remember the 3 reasons for rejection ?? Missing documents is NOT one of them.

So, I would suggest everyone NOT to postpone the date.

Anyone, please tell me if I am going wrong anywhere.

Thanks.

waitnwatch

You have the right strategy. I think since Jan will be the first time they will ask for one, they will be quite lenient when dealing with PCC and you may not have to struggle for the same and actually may be able to get GC without PCC.
I was promised a first week of Jan interview but am actually given a Jan 22nd date now. God knows what goes on behind the walls at the consulate.
Only scenario you have to think of is if you need PCC from Indian consulate in US, how will you get back? Do they ALWAYS issue a temp visa to go collect documents? Who knows!
MJ1

Hi skarekat -

When did your parents receive P4? I believe you have interview date on 17th Jan, correct?

Can you tell me how was the P4 sent by consulate? Regular mail/certified mail or courier?

Thanks.

MJ1

Reading the documents/websites/discussion boards, I have come to know that if they don\'t give you a visa based on in-complete documentation then they will NOT cancel your H-1 visa. They will cancel only if they are granting the visa or rejecting it.

So, if I need it from US Consulate then I can still travel back. Atleast that\'s my understanding. Hope it never comes to this scenario !!! I have already spent tons of money on getting a ticket. I don\'t want to spend another extra $$$$ :)

anybody got PCC from SF Consulate ? Urgent

We have January CP interview at Mumbai and apparently they require PCC (police clearance certificate) - has anybody obtained PCC from any Indian consulate in America? (how many days ?) - We have passports all issued in Mumbai - no renewals yet. This is extremely urgent.

Please help.

If the passports are renewed here, it takes 1 day

I don\'t know about passport issued in India.