Jan \'02 CP - Plastic Card Tracker

social security

Do we need to go to the social security office to get SS card updated or does the Social security office automatically send us an updated card?

I9

Do I need complete I9 immediately after the POE. I want to quit my company once I get my GC by mail, So I just dont want to do anything with my current Employer. What will be the problems that may arise due to this , if any.

Superman , I think I was behind you at JFK .

Did you travell with your wife and had your head shaved ?

Thanks

aishsri,

I-9 is your employer\'s responsibility to update, however, they can argue that they could not do it if they were not notified by you.

Are you aware of possible future problems if you quit your company so early after your CP? Make sure that your quitting is well justified! All this could be pointing to the fact that you had not have an intention to work permanently for you employer at the time of getting your GC. All the best!

What do have to do at the social security office ??

I mean, if we already have SSNs, is there anything else we need to do ?

Superman, you managed a Tirupati visit too ? U must have really been running around !

Aishri: what is the problem in doing your I9 ?

As Marta has mentioned, it could be another point if God forbid, there is some problem with you leaving your employer very early.

It just takes a few minutes to fill out and there is nothing you need to do other than give it to your employer.

Rajesh

If your SSN card says W/INS authorization only, you should aplly again. You will get the same number but diff. card with out that statement. My wife\'s card does not say that. So, she does not have to change.
Yes. I was running around for all 3 wks. In addition, I got LASIK surgery done for my eyes.

we\'ve received my wife\'s plastic card today

poe - boston
doe - 1/31/02
welcome notices for both and my plastic card was received yesterday.
spouse\'s plastic card received today

Got the card today poe sfo 01/22/02

Got the cards for me and my wife (before GC she was already in US). We had the CP interview in Mumbai on 12/27/01, POE in SFO 01/22/02...got the card today (02/12/02). Ours was EB2 case.

And it is true that it came from Texas.

Also I didn\'t see "Do not forward" stamp on the envelopes. It means it will be forwarded in case u have moved.

Thanks Rajesh and Marta - time line to quit

I may be wrong. I thought of not giving any information because I dont want them to have any control on me. Please advise whether the employer can do any harm to me here after. Any way I am not planning to stay for more than couple of months. Is there any time line before we quit the current employer.

What is I9 and what is the consequences of not filing it.

Thanks

SSN for my family.

Do I need to apply for SSN for my wife and kids since they just have the TIN. I thought they will get it with the plastic card.

Thanks

No Title

Yes, you they have to go to the SSN office and apply for their cards in person. Go to http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html for more info.

Once you get their SSN numbers you have to mail the original ITIN cards with copies of SSNs to:

IRS PSC - ITIN Unit
P.O.Box 447
Bensalem, PA 19020