J2 to J1

stasy

Registered Users (C)
I am subject to 2 Year Home residence Rule. Can I change from J2 to J1 if I have stayed in the US for over 6 months?

I mean, is it possible for me to go outside the US to apply for a new J1 visa if I already have stayed in the US with J2 status for over 6 months?
Thank you very much

My current J2 status is still valid. I want to go back to my country and apply for a new J1 visa immediately, can I?
thanks!

I answered your question. You have to spend 2 years in your home country and then you can apply for another J1.

J1 is non-immigration visa and I am sure that I can apply for non-immigration visas before I stayed in my country for 2 years. My question is about the twelve-month bar which is connected with staying here for more than 6 months.

Dear Stasy,
your case is pretty similar to mine. i just wanted to clarify something. if you stayed in the US more than 6 months and your visa type is J2 subtype Research scholar or visiting professor, you cant return unless after 1 year on the same visa same subtype. it will be two years if you stayed for the maximum period of J2 visa which is 5 years now. you are not subject of the 1 or 2 years bar if u returned on another subtype of J1 like j1 medical for example. this is the case and i am quite sure.

Thank you so much for your information. Actually I am not sure if I am subject to 2 YHRR. I am from China and J1 is funded by a university in US. Do you know if I can change the status(from J2 to J1 research scholar) within the US, also in the case that I have stayed in the US for more than 6 months?
I really appreciate your answer!

changing the status form J2 to j1 after passage of 6 m on j2 status is only possible by having another stamp on you passport from any US embassy or consulate out side the US borders.
sorry for being that late