J2 EAD Renewal Limitation

gilo.12

My wife is on J1 as postdoc researcher. I got my J-2 Visa as her dependent.
Our first DS-2019 was for two years and I got my first EAD (Category C05) until the end of it.
Our second DS-2019 is for three years, but I got my second EAD just for two more years.
The person responsible on immigration at her university saying that it is limited for 4 years, but we know personally people with the same status as us, that got EAD for fifth year.
The fact that I got it just for 2 (out 3 years) makes us worried, that we will not be able to renew my EAD again with the same DS-2019.
1. Any explanation why my second EAD was renewed just for two years and not for three (while others with the same status did get 3 years)?
2. Will I be able to renew my EAD for one additional year (fifth and last year of our DS-2019), based on the same DS-2019 I already used for the last request?

Thanks!

8 CFR 214.2(j)(1)(v) says:
(v) Employment.

(A) The accompanying spouse and minor children of a J-1 exchange visitor may accept employment only with authorization by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. A request for employment authorization must be made on Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with fee, as required by the Service, to the district director having jurisdiction over the J-1 exchange visitor's temporary residence in the United States. Income from the spouse's or dependent's employment may be used to support the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal alien.

(B) J-2 employment may be authorized for the duration of the J-1 principal alien's authorized stay as indicated on Form I-94 or a period of four years, whichever is shorter. The employment authorization is valid only if the J-1 is maintaining status. Where a J-2 spouse or dependent child has filed a timely application for extension of stay, only upon approval of the request for extension of stay may he or she apply for a renewal of the employment authorization on a Form I-765 with the required fee.
It does sound like it is limited to 4 years.

I personally saw EAD of people with the same status as mine, getting it for a fifth year.
So there is still something which is unclear. Under what circumstances you might get/not get more than four years.

Hello!

I have the same problem! Gilo.12 or anyone, could you please share if you could extend J2’s EAD after your total EAD period was over 4 years? Thank you so much!