J2 and EAD - should I mention it in DS-156

noktuki

Registered Users (C)
Hello all

I have a question concerning the ds-156 form and EAD: My wife intends to file for the EAD when we get to US, and we're not sure if she should mention it in her DS-156 form (under No. 32: "Do you intend to work in the U.S.?").
If she writes something like: "Yes, when I get the EAD document", could it affect our interview?
If she doesn't write anything, could it affect getting the EAD???
What do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch,
Mate

Hello all

I have a question concerning the ds-156 form and EAD: My wife intends to file for the EAD when we get to US, and we're not sure if she should mention it in her DS-156 form (under No. 32: "Do you intend to work in the U.S.?").
If she writes something like: "Yes, when I get the EAD document", could it affect our interview? If she doesn't write anything, could it affect getting the EAD??? What do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch,
Mate

U dont have to mention anything

it does not affect. Once you are here, go to International office (if it in University) or HR, ask that u want to apply for EAD. U need to fill some forms and send it over to USCIS to get EAD. so no worries.

My wife checked "yes" and wrote "with J-2 Employment Authorization" and had absolutely no problems. But my wife already had a job that she was returning to and would have been fraud to lie on the application. In your case, it doesn't matter either way. She can intend not to work on the day she goes to the consulate and then decide to work on the airplane while flying over.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
One more question: does it make any difference for J2 EAD application who the sponsor of J1 is? Is there any correlation between the sponsoring organization and Employment Authorization? Are any of the sponsor organizations "blocking" the Employment Authorization for J2, or each J2 has equal status? Btw., my sponsor is IIE (Institute for International Education).

Noktuki

J-2 visa holder with EAD...renewal of EAD??

Thanks a lot for your answers.
One more question: does it make any difference for J2 EAD application who the sponsor of J1 is? Is there any correlation between the sponsoring organization and Employment Authorization? Are any of the sponsor organizations "blocking" the Employment Authorization for J2, or each J2 has equal status? Btw., my sponsor is IIE (Institute for International Education).

Noktuki

Hi All!
I have a question in my mind for a couple of days now. I was reading in the internet that to apply for EAD renewal i have to do it at least 6months before it expires, is that true? does it take that much time?

The thing is this, I got my J-2 visa last november, came to the states dec 2nd, and like 2 weeks later applied for an EAD dec 26th, received it like 10days ago, that is jan 30th, immediatly the next day, went to social security office to apply for card so i can apply for a job, and received it yesterday feb 11th. I am worried because it expires in June 2008 (because my husbands J-1 visa is 1 year same as all i beleive).

Is my future employer gonna have problem with that? or can they either let me work and while im working in June i will receive the new DS-2019 that will state that i am legal in the states for 1 more year until June 2009/ or if i leave i have to renew it....

Does anyone know what can i do? what to tell in my interviews when they see my EAD expiration date?? The good thing about all this i think, is that where i applied for a job is the same hospital my husband works at as a medical resident.

Please help me, i will be having interviews very soon and want to be up to date with this in case they ask me!

Thanks a lot. Really Appreciate it!!!
A