J1 waiver-

betianum

Registered Users (C)
I am J1 Holder. I would like to make a request for a waiver of the Two- Year Foreign residence requirement.
I am a Postdoctoral fellow at the Florida Atlantic University. In my DS-2019 form says that the program sponsor is the Florida Atlantic University but the financial support is provided by the Office of Naval Research.
I have been told that when any of the governmental agencies is involve in the program funding it’s very difficult to get the waiver. It’s that true?
Do you think that I can apply to a waiver and get a favorable response?

thanks a lot!

Not necessarily

betianum said:
I have been told that when any of the governmental agencies is involve in the program funding it’s very difficult to get the waiver. It’s that true?

Wait, does your DS-2019 state both the University and the ONR as sponsors? Or just the university?

If the DOS asks the ONR for its views on your application, then you need to know this in advance. So before applying for your waiver, ask your sponsor (or check its websites) for any specific policies it has on J-1 waivers. My US agency has a specific policy, and one has to meet certain requirements in order for the agency to respond favorably. Some agencies have no policies at all. So check with your agency (or with previous J-1 scholars in your program who may have obtained a waiver) to see whether such a policy exists.

Hi experts,

I am working in a copy on F1-OPT now. but this company wants me to work on J1 for5 months until i get h1b at the same company on Oct 1st. I cant go directly to H1 from OPT as H1b quota is reached.

Question is:

1. As the same company is sponsor for J1 and eventual H1, will it be easier to get J1 waiver?

2. Will entering to J1 even for few months and transfering to H1 will be a problem?

3. I know if i go to J1 even for couple months my GC through my spouse may get impacted as J1 is in conflict with GC or even H1?

Look forward hearning from you -t hanks

jk0274 said:
Wait, does your DS-2019 state both the University and the ONR as sponsors? Or just the university?

If the DOS asks the ONR for its views on your application, then you need to know this in advance. So before applying for your waiver, ask your sponsor (or check its websites) for any specific policies it has on J-1 waivers. My US agency has a specific policy, and one has to meet certain requirements in order for the agency to respond favorably. Some agencies have no policies at all. So check with your agency (or with previous J-1 scholars in your program who may have obtained a waiver) to see whether such a policy exists.

Thanks a lot for your resposnce.
My DS-2019 says that the sponsor is the Florida Atlantic University. But then says: During the period covered by this form, the total estimated financial support is to be provided to the excahnge visitot by;
Office of Naval Research: $ amount of many

I have only contact wi the University but the project in which I am involve is sponsored by ONR.

J1-waiver

jk0274 said:

Thanks a lot for your resposnce.
My DS-2019 says that the sponsor is the Florida Atlantic University. But then says: During the period covered by this form, the total estimated financial support is to be provided to the excahnge visitot by;
Office of Naval Research: $ amount of many

I have only contact wi the University but the project in which I am involve is sponsored by ONR.