J1 waiver

gomar

I would like to know how easy is to get a J1 waiver to skip the 212e requirement? Does this depend on the contry?

yes, it does depend on the country, and it also depends on the basis of HRR - if it's U.S. govt financing the chances are close to zero.

waiver..

hello!

can you share with me your experience or advise me on getting a J1 visa waiver.

My situation is as follows:

(1) Short term J1 visa. 4/2003 to 7/2003. Returned to home country, Spain, 8/2003 (came to study/research during short-stay).
(2) Now have a job offer in 2 US companies. One with H1 and one with J1. Both need me to join immediately (though I prefer the H1 job better).

What do I need to do to get a waiver? Do I need to apply in US and in Spain or one of them will do? What is the time frame for each? How do I go about doing it in Spain. How about in US?

Any complication with the H1 job and the J1 job?

Many Many thanks!!!!!

J1 waiver form

I am in the process to fill my J1 waiver form and I have a problem with point number 10. What is the INS alien registration number?

The reason why I got the 212e requirment is Govermment financing. The estimate time for processing the J1 waiver review application they say that it is about 6 weeks. Do you think that this is approximate? After the first step how fast is if I send fast all the documents that they are asking for?

Many thanks!!!

Basis is NO OBJECTION

Hello

The basis would be obtaining a NO OBJECTION statement.

Thanks

krg, I asked about basis for HRR, not basis for the waiver. :)

gomar, if you have a work permit, you will have A# on it. You can use it. 6 weeks is pretty much the time to get the receipt from DOS and the case number. The waiver process itself till take a couple of month at least. You can start sending docs to DOS as soon as you get a case number from DOS.

HRR reason: Govt Finance!

:)

Sorry!

Does this answer the HRR question?

Thanks.

yikes. I am sorry for you. Let's hope it wasn't a lot of money and let's hope it came from your own goverment rather than U.S.

So, here it is, if your employer wants you soon, you should go for J-1, but make sure you are not getting a new HRR based on skills or something like that. If you want to immigrate or later on get a H1B, apply for a no-objection waiver while you are on J-1, write a damn good statement, etc., good luck!

If the employer is in no hurry, you can apply for the waiver now, it may take anywhere from several months up to a year to get a decision, and it's not always a positive one. Then, if you do get a waiver, go for H1B.

Thanks!

We applied for the J1 waiver around end of Dec2004. State approved it two weeks ago! We are waiting for the H1 now.

Many thanks LucyMO for your help.

krg

Chances of waiver based on skill list

Hello LucyMO,

My HRR baisis is the skill list, and the Brazilian embassy has already sent the no objection statement. What do you think are my chances of getting the waiver?

Also, you mentioned about "writing a very good statement of reason", what do you mean by that? I have not sent mine yet (just received an email from DOS saying this is the only thing missing)...

Thanks a ton!

you have to explain why you do not wish to fulfil the HRR. Usually people write about their careers and how detrimental it would be to leave the States for two years for their carreer/research/etc. If it's skills list based HRR, then a good statement is enough. If it's govt financing based - the statement/reason has to be exceptionally good. :)

Got the Favorable recommendation!

Thanks, LucyMO.

I have just checked online to find the DoS has sent the favorable recommendation to the Immigration Services. I sent a simple statement of reason mentioning I was switching offices whithin the same firm, and I also heard from an immigration lawyer that waivers based on no objection - with no govt funding - are almost certain to be accepted.

The processe was very fast too! The DoS received the no objection letter on March 8, and requested a statement of reason on March 14. I faxed the statement last Friday (march 18), and they sent the recommendation on the same day.

Now moving on to the new visa... Cheers!