J1 Waiver Process

mike351

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My question is: What will it be the first? Sending the documents to DOS or getting NOL from my country? Or at the same time? Can I write and send my statement before I get the NOL?

Thank you

Either way, at the same time or having the docs + fee sent first and then request NOL.
Your home country embassy is responsible for sending the NOL directly to DoS, so it will also depend on the Embassy's processing time to prepare and mail the NOL. They might ask you a few letters and documents (mine did) in order to prepare NOL.
I've read here that some people suggested to have NOL sent only after you can see the documents and fee updated on the online database, but that's not a official recommendation of DoS (at least I didn't see it on the instructions), and for most people doing both at the same time seemed to have worked well.

--I am not a lawyer so act accordingly--

Thank you for your response. Furthermore, I'm a little bit confused about these two process. The process for NOL might vary according to the visa holder and/or embassy, but what's the step-by-step process for the application to DOS? travel. state. gov /visa/temp/info/info_1296.html is this web page enough to do this? Is there any instruction on this forum or somewhere else?

Thanks

1. Complete the DS-3035 (you will get a PDF file)
2. Send the DS-3035 along with the required documents and payment to the Dept of State
3. Send a request for the no-objection letter to the embassy along with the "third party barcode" page from the PDF
4. Wait, wait, and wait. Keep checking the status online.
5. That's it. Good luck.

Thank you so much for summarizing the process!! :)

Last question: what are the "required documents" instead of the payment and ds-3035. I know one which is statement of reason. Is there any?

Thanks

those are personal documents: copy of the biopage of your passport, copy of all your DS2019, etc. You'll get a list of the basic documents along with the pdf file mentioned by pk_net.
If DoS need any extra documentation, they will get in touch with you. All instructions are detailed on the pdf file.

Good luck.

Do you have a sample for Statement of Reason? Should it be short or long? What should I mention in this letter?