J1 waiver No Objection

pinco

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,
I'd need some information about the J1 visa waiver application procedure, please!

I've been in the USA with a J1 visa till August 2006 and I am subject to the 2 years rule, as my home Government (Italy), through my University, partially supported my visit. Since my partner currently lives and works in the USA, I would like to come back and live there by the end of this year; for this reason I would like to apply for the waiver, also if I have no concrete work opportunities right now...

Also if my Italian University partially sponsored my J1 visa, the Embassy of Italy in Washington D.C said there should be no problem in issuing the No Objection Statement for my case. For what I know about the visa waiver procedure, the US Department of State should have no problem as well nor ask further questions in a case like mine (like requests for sponsors, etc.). Are my suppositions right?

One more thing: in the DS3035 I'd need the I-94 number relating my first entrance in the US with the J1 visa, but I don't have that number anymore...could that be a problem, or somebody knows how could I get it back?

thank you in advance!

I'd just like to know if you think I could get the waiver...I know I have to get a visa to work and live in the US. I'll try to look for a sponsor...and it is surely much easier if you don't have the 2 years requirement; otherwise I could get married, since my partner is a US citizen. As you probably know, marriage does not allow to be exempted form the 2 years requirement.
thank you

As you probably know, marriage does not allow to be exempted form the 2 years requirement.
really? geez, I didn't know.

Just apply for a waiver, and provide all the supporting documents.

The majority of visas (mostly, non-immigrant) will not be affected by your HRR. However, any immigrant or work visa will be.

Hi everybody,
I'd need some information about the J1 visa waiver application procedure, please!

I've been in the USA with a J1 visa till August 2006 and I am subject to the 2 years rule, as my home Government (Italy), through my University, partially supported my visit. Since my partner currently lives and works in the USA, I would like to come back and live there by the end of this year; for this reason I would like to apply for the waiver, also if I have no concrete work opportunities right now...

Also if my Italian University partially sponsored my J1 visa, the Embassy of Italy in Washington D.C said there should be no problem in issuing the No Objection Statement for my case. For what I know about the visa waiver procedure, the US Department of State should have no problem as well nor ask further questions in a case like mine (like requests for sponsors, etc.). Are my suppositions right?

One more thing: in the DS3035 I'd need the I-94 number relating my first entrance in the US with the J1 visa, but I don't have that number anymore...could that be a problem, or somebody knows how could I get it back?

thank you in advance!

Hey,

This link should help to explain how to do it.:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1288.html

It's quick and easy. You should base it on No Objection. Call your Embassy and they can tell you what fee and info they want you to send in for them with a written request for the waiver. Once your embassy receives your stuff they will issue the No Objection statement and forward their letter directly to the DOS (dept. of state) with all your documents. (copy of your entry form, the pre priinted DS3035 application with the bar code etc...) Once the DOS gets it you can track it on their website. Normally after a few weeks they make a recommendation (most likely favorable one if you have all your documents in place) and they will send their recommendation over to USCIS. USCIS will let you know about the final decision. When I did it, the entire process from start to finish took about 4 weeks. Good luck
You have to collect all your old documents and numbers for the application. You have to figure out the way to find all that.

Thank you very much pumukliboy!

I did not make a copy of my I-94 form and, as you know, you have to give it back to your airline company before boarding when you leave the country!
I do not really know how could I get the I-94 number back...any suggestion??
Do you think that could be a reason for a waiver denial if I send them the DS3035 without that information, also if I explain why I don't have it anymore?
thx!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much pumukliboy!

I did not make a copy of my I-94 form and, as you know, you have to give it back to your airline company before boarding when you leave the country!
I do not really know how could I get the I-94 number back...any suggestion??
Do you think that could be a reason for a waiver denial if I send them the DS3035 without that information, also if I explain why I don't have it anymore?
thx!!

you should be fine...I don't think I had it either. I'm not even sure you need it on the form not sure. It's been awhile since I did it. I think I just needed copy the pink forms (at least it used to be pink 6 years ago). You should be fine, I don't think they deny you over that.

thanks again pumukliboy!
they do ask for that number on the DS3035 form...but I hope it is not that important!:) I will apply and let you know if I am wrong...

thanks again pumukliboy!
they do ask for that number on the DS3035 form...but I hope it is not that important!:) I will apply and let you know if I am wrong...

I hope it works. Worst case, you can always get a replacement I-94 from USCIS. I did it once when my passport got stolen and needed that card. USCIS sent me a replacement card, it took them a few months and cost me a few $$$ but you can do it. You might want to call DOS and talk to a rep. to see what He says.
Good luck.

I-94 number is important if you are still in the States. Since you are out - don't worry so much about it.

P.S. You can get a replacement only if you are still in the US in the same program and in valid status, and I-94 is lost/stolen.

I-94 number is important if you are still in the States. Since you are out - don't worry so much about it.

Thanks LucyMO!
I contacted the US University I visited, anyway, and they sent me the I-94 number...YAY!!

I'd have another question: on the DS3035 form they ask to submit "A statement demonstrating why the exchange visitor is eligible to receive a waiver of the two-year home country requirement of the exchange visitor program"...
is it just referring to the "No objection Statement", or I should write a paragraph of something to give them further explanations?
thank you!

you have to write a statement showing why you shouldn't spend two years at home. THis has been covered on the forum and in yahoo!groups many times.

I am kinda worried about the statement...considering that I've already spend almost one year home, that I got a very small amount of money form my Univ to be there...and that the only reasons I would like to come back is cause my partner lives there...do you think these are good reasons to get the waiver??

waiver approval

Is there anyone that knows how long it takes to get a waiver approval after receiving favorable recommendation from Dos at vermont service center. Please kindly respond to this text.