J1-WAIVER "no objection"

ksj1

Registered Users (C)
I need help !
I am a foreign medical graduate(india) who was on a J1 research status for a year IN 2000 and have now acquired permanent residency in canada.
Can i obtain J1 waiver on "no objection" while being in canada and if so how do i go about it.I was not on US GOVT FUNDS NOR HOST GOVT FUNDS,had private frim funds.
thanks

ksj1 said:
I need help !
I am a foreign medical graduate(india) who was on a J1 research status for a year IN 2000 and have now acquired permanent residency in canada.
Can i obtain J1 waiver on "no objection" while being in canada and if so how do i go about it.I was not on US GOVT FUNDS NOR HOST GOVT FUNDS,had private frim funds.
thanks

If you went to the US to acquire medical training, you will not be able to get a waiver based on a no-objection letter whatever the funding source.

Your permanent residency in Canada will not help. You have to go back to India for 2 years if it was your last country of residence before you went to the US.

However, you can get a waiver on any of the 4 other grounds.

I am not an expert on medical training J1 waivers. But being a PR of
Canada is not a problem (the problem--if at all--has to do with you
having got a J1 visa for undergoing med training). I am a PR of Canada
(as is my wife--both of us are from India). We applied for a waiver
in June from Canada, and DOS has recommended that a waiver be granted.
So we are waiting for the USCIS to give its clearance.

Best regards
Pramath

YukonNew said:
If you went to the US to acquire medical training, you will not be able to get a waiver based on a no-objection letter whatever the funding source.

Your permanent residency in Canada will not help. You have to go back to India for 2 years if it was your last country of residence before you went to the US.

However, you can get a waiver on any of the 4 other grounds.

Pramath said:
I am not an expert on medical training J1 waivers. But being a PR of
Canada is not a problem (the problem--if at all--has to do with you
having got a J1 visa for undergoing med training). I am a PR of Canada
(as is my wife--both of us are from India). We applied for a waiver
in June from Canada, and DOS has recommended that a waiver be granted.
So we are waiting for the USCIS to give its clearance.

Best regards
Pramath

Pramath, being a PR of Canada is not a problem at all. What I mean is that you are not in a better situation because you are PR of Canada: it has no effect on the J1 Waiver. However, people who went to the US to acquire medical training are not elligible to get a waiver based on a no-objection
letter.

Now, is there a difference between medical training and medical research? This person has to find out.

The 2-year RR applies to the country of last residence before the person went to the US. In other words, if you are from India or any other country, you cannot just go to Canada for two years and then go back to the US. You need to go back to your country of last residence for 2 years or get a waiver based on any of the 4 other grounds.

Hope this clarify things.

I was there for medical research(post doctoral) and not medical training.Is it ok then?If so how do i go about the process.Details /steps with links to any websites for forms will be very helpful

J1-2 YR HRR/NOC for Waiver

Hello Moderator/everybody on this thread.

I have an reverse case here. I am an J1 Indian Researcher in USA. I was working/living in Canada for 1 YR before applying/getting US visa from Canada. My permanent residence/home country is India while country of my last residence/visa issued country is Canada.

Now the question is, to which country should I go to complete my HRR? From which country should I get NOC for waiver? Some say Canada, other say India. I am in a fix so please help.

Thanks for all comments in advance.

I-612 and DS-3035, j1 waiver based on hardship

Hi all,
I submitted my I 612 form for j1 waiver based on hardship one year ago. Recently I requested the status of my application and uscis informed me that my I-612 and supporting documents have been forwarded to DOS for review and advisory opinion. When I checked DOS website, it seems I need to fill and form DS-3035.
I appreciate if you have any advice on 1) do I need to submit DS-3035? 2) If yes, that means I have to pay another 215 dollars.
Thanks
abes