J1 waiver employer/recruiters

docny

Registered Users (C)
A quote from previous post

I am looking for Dr.Bedi, Florida (Advanced Med Services, Inc) : who is victimizing many of J-1 waivers.
I want to get in touch with him to sort out money matters. He has spoiled my credit scores. I can't even get a rental apartment NOW !!
Thanks in advance

I was thinking to open up a thread for posting well known scammers (employers and recuiters that exploit J1 candidates) who should be avoided at all cost. This way applicants like me who are soon to start the waiver process avoid them.

I developed a rule. If someone asks for money upfront, then avoid them, period!
There is no way that you are going to track their work and make sure that they are searching for you. Also the way I see it if they do this for "everybody", then how do you know if there is ONE job with 5 qualified docs lined up for it, who they will call 1st.

You got to be proactive in your search. Find how to locate the census track numbers and see which one is HPSA/MUA and then start sending applications out. If an employer is looking for someone and can't recruit a USC then they would be willing to sponsor.

Other thing that worries me is employers that are specifically looking for J-1s. I am also concerned that they are well aware of the trap situations we land in and that just increases the chance of exploitation. I guess as a new graduate, even as a USC you are up for some abuse, but then the average USC ends up changing their job after a yr or two, whereas we are stuck.

thanks for the insight. Based on what I learn from the forum and friends.

1. Look for non-profit organization (no H1 cap issues)
2. HPSA/MUA (although I trouble using the site to figure out whether a particular area is underserved - for example how to find if the zip code area 11767 is underserved or a specific hospital and recent lowering of MUA scores required - does that mean more areas are included?)
3. It's better to work for a hospital than to work for an individual and small groups. Less chances of being abused
4. Stay away from your countrymen although that may sound appealing.
5. VA should not be a first choice.

Please correct me if I got a wrong impression.

I612 said:
I developed a rule. If someone asks for money upfront, then avoid them, period!
There is no way that you are going to track their work and make sure that they are searching for you. Also the way I see it if they do this for "everybody", then how do you know if there is ONE job with 5 qualified docs lined up for it, who they will call 1st.

You got to be proactive in your search. Find how to locate the census track numbers and see which one is HPSA/MUA and then start sending applications out. If an employer is looking for someone and can't recruit a USC then they would be willing to sponsor.

Other thing that worries me is employers that are specifically looking for J-1s. I am also concerned that they are well aware of the trap situations we land in and that just increases the chance of exploitation. I guess as a new graduate, even as a USC you are up for some abuse, but then the average USC ends up changing their job after a yr or two, whereas we are stuck.

As far as I know state 30 waivers are cap exempt at any rate, so don't worry much about that.
The key to the HPSA thing is that you have to use the census track locator to know what CT the location is at. If you have trouble locating the CT let me know and I will send the link.

"It's better to work for a hospital than to work for an individual and small groups. Less chances of being abused"
That is for sure. I will go anywhere that hires USCs and the contract is the same for all.

"Stay away from your countrymen although that may sound appealing."
At the expense of sounding prejudiced, I will say as much as possible stay away from immigrant employer. I guess those of us who suffer throught this process come to a point in our life that think now everybody else has to "pay back". This sense of entitlement could be deadly. It is like your attendings saying "when I was an intern...".

VA should not be a first choice.
Tend to disagree. At least if they sponser the waiver from the begining it is almost guaranteed to be aproved. Think about it one government agency is not going to mess others business intentionally! The job is usually laid back and the pay average. You have to get a moonlighting on the side which is usually available. I would be more comfortable with a VA waiver than a group practice.

Now I should add that I haven't finished training yet and have done a hardship waiver, so don't believe everything I say!

I have nothing to add.

(except maybe one thing. since las year, ALL J1 waiver H1bs are exempt from the cap. Please ask your citizen friends to contribute generously to 'Friends of Kent Conrad' and to mention 'access to physicians in rural areas' in the cover letter)

Having a 'blacklist' of employers, unscrupulous recruiters would certainly be helpful.
I just suspect that Rajiv Khanna the person legally responsible for this site would probably force us to take it down. Allegations like that are hard to proove and expose the host of a site to the risk of slander/libel litigation.

>> Find how to locate the census track numbers

I am having trouble finding the CT number through

-- then go to the website of the US census website
www.census.gov
click on the 'census2000' logo
smack in the middle, click on 'enter a street address to find census2000 data'

enter the street address with town and state
click on the 'go' button

It will spit out a table/list out of which you can extract the following geographic information:
the 'county subdivision' or 'MCD' (minor civil division),
county
'census tract' (most important)

>> Tend to disagree. At least if they sponser the waiver from the begining it is almost guaranteed to be aproved. Think about it one government agency is not going to mess others business intentionally! The job is usually laid back and the pay average. You have to get a moonlighting on the side which is usually available. I would be more comfortable with a VA waiver than a group practice.

does VA help with GC process as well, as I have seen posts mentioning their delay tactics etc.

As I am planning on Hardhsip waiver first, I won't be cap exempt for h1 if hardship waiver works out.... right? i will still prefer to work in MUA as they may be more willing to process for your GC...the only advantage of hardship waiver would be to avoid the 3-5 yrs wait for GC thru the State 30 process....any thoughts?

> does VA help with GC process as well,

They do, but they require a 5 year committment. It is a NIW.

> as I have seen posts mentioning their delay tactics etc.

SOME VA administrators are unscrupulous slave drivers. I am under the impression that for most people it is a pretty benign, straightforward deal.

> As I am planning on Hardhsip waiver first, I won't be cap exempt for h1
> if hardship waiver works out.... right?

Only if you work for an otherwise cap exempt employer. The cap exemption is specifically in the new law for Conrad30 waivers.

> the only advantage of hardship waiver would be to avoid the 3-5 yrs
> wait for GC thru the State 30 process....any thoughts?

A hardship waiver would open whole worlds for you. You could take a position with a university (e.g. as hospitalist if you are IM) and get them to sponsor you for a green-card. Also, you can get your GC started before you even finish residency (e.g. by a practice already advertising your position for PERM).

The main advantage is that you would't run a risk of being dependent on bloodsucker scumbag slavedriver employers who preys on J1s.

The biggest advantage of the hardship waiver for me was the fact that I did it while in training and now don't have to jump through the loops of state dept of health/DOS and etc while not knowing if I finally get approved or no. Also you have to apply for the waiver so early that most employers don't even know if they need to hire by then or no. In my experience this leaves a majority of employers that are willing to wait for the "right" person, a desparate J waiver doc that can be slaved around.
Another note when you go throught the CT and HPSA, remember that lots of places have clinics in underserved areas and they employ under that clinic name. You provide service to that population, like 2 days in the clininc and the rest in the hospital. I am not sure if this is legal, but is being done.

> ike 2 days in the clininc and the rest in the hospital. I am not sure if this
> is legal, but is being done.

It is illegal, doesn't mean it is not being done. You have to work 'full-time' which depending on the state means 32-40 hours per week at the sponsored HPSA/MUA location.

Kent Conrad figures in America's 10 Best Senators

Time Magazine has named America's 10 Best Senators. Kent Conrad is one of them!