J1 waiver - Conrad

raj121b

Registered Users (C)
Finished residency 3 days back, due to state health department delays, only got DOS paperwork completed on June 22 and checked website today and saw the 'Favorable Recomendation'- sent on July 2. When can I expect paperwork to arrive so that I can apply for my H1B? When does the USCIS receive the DOS recomendation?
Thanks..

You can apply for the H1b now. Make sure to use premium processing.

There is a chance that they send an RFE telling you that they have to wait for approval of the final waiver, but it is possible that they just approve waiver and H1b at the same time.

it is also possible that they will approve the H1B without approving the J1 waiver. in that case, you will have to request them to approve the J1 waiver.

I forgot to mention that. There have been people here who got their H1b approved and the waiver only got approved weeks later. As your 3 years count from the approval of the waiver, they ended up spending more than 3 years in waiver captivity. Given the alternative of sitting at home twiddling your thumbs, working and getting paid seems to be the better idea to me.

Thanks for both your inputs, Hadron and Psychmd !!

Just heard that my HIB (Premium processing) with COS was approved today by USCIS(within 7 days of I-129 application). Starting work soon...

Incidently no receipt from USCIS regarding J1 waiver yet, but am assuming it has been approved since COS with I-94 has been approved. Will try to contact USCIS regarding the J1 waiver.

Thanks again !

Congratulations.

Btw. 3 years are only 1095 days. If you are lucky you don't have a leap year ;)

Thanks Hadron.
Yes, finally finishing the 3 years will feel good although I sincerely like this job too, but the sense of independence will be definitely appreciated.

Cheers !

3yr count start date

I forgot to mention that. There have been people here who got their H1b approved and the waiver only got approved weeks later. As your 3 years count from the approval of the waiver, they ended up spending more than 3 years in waiver captivity. .

hi Hadron ..

I am confused I was under the impression that 3 years count from the day we start the job officially . For ex. my situation , My waiver is aproved by USCIS , my Atorney still hasn't applied for the H1-b because of some issues with prevailing wages... and even after i get my H1 b approved soon I will have to wait for my State license and then admitting credentials in the hospitals to be complete , before i ACTUALY START WORKING ( I am looking sometime in the end of october). so my question to u is

1. When does 3 yrs count in my case Uscis approval date OR actual job start date.
2. Is 90 day rule of starting work after J1 waiver approval , strictly followed. what hapens if do not start?

Thanks

BY the way mine is Conrad j1 waiver
---------------------------------------------

State Health Dept recommendation to DOS sent on July 27th, 2007
My Favorable reco sent to USCIS by DOS on Aug 3rd, 2007
(I never recieved the notices from both , only got know from Attorney and Online thru Casenumber)

I-612 for J-waiver for 2 yr home residency rule Approved by USCIS Aug 22nd, 2007 (was recieved by USCIS 4th august)
I recieved the aproval letter on Aug, 25th, 2007