J1 waiver and USCIS

janish

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys,
I wonder if anyone on this forum waiting for J1waiver to be approved by USCIS.
I am waiting any response from USCIS for last four weeks. I have not gotten any receipt number as well. I am moving later this week to new place. I wonder what I should do.Any body in his forum waiting USCIS response.

Also please tell me if USCIS sends approved waiver documents to applicatant or lawyer.

Thanks in advance,
Janish

I dont want to scare you but last year my waiver was approved after the wait of almost 9 month, but be positive it was an exceptional caseusually people get it in three months.... hope the same for you

J1 waiver approved

Hi Janish..
This is exactly the same situation I was in until yesterday.

State Health Dept recommendation to DOS sent on July 27th, 2007
My Favorable reco sent to USCIS by DOS on Aug 3rd, 2007

I never recieved the notices from both , only got know from Attorney and Online thru Casenumber

By this time I already made plans to make a move to a new place towards the end of August. I even submitted to USPS the forwarding Mail service to my new location. I was told by my attorney that USCIS send J1 waiver approval that is ( I-612) to the candidate directly and not to them (and also that i may possibly getting the approval in mid -sept) . He also mentioned that , most of the times mail from USCIS do not get Forwarded by the USPS.. So, I tried to change the address at USCIS online , but it required the Receipt notice number ( which I or the attorney never got till now). Even tried calling USCIS several times , but no use. SO I had to cancel the whole MOVING trip to the NEW location. and also cancelled the FORWARDING mail service by USPS.

Surprisingly , I just recieved the Approved I-612 for J-waiver for 2 yr home residency rule. (was recieved on 4th august and Approved on Aug 22nd)

Now I decided to not MOVE from my current residence until I get H1 b - approval in my hands.. to be on the safe side..( even though usually H1b -petition is approval is sent directly to Attorney)

MY STRONG ADVICE .. Do not move until you get all the paper work from USCIS especiallly I-612 i.e J-1 waiver approval.. as I was told by my attorney and several friends that once , those mail from USCIS get lost in the mail or sent back to them for any reason.. then it seems it is almost impossible to trace them back OR get a copy.

Hope this helps you. GOOD LUCK

Exceptional hardship waiver took 18 months

Hi Janish, We filed in Dec 2005, got approval in June 2007! We did get an interim notice in August 2006 asking for more information. I think exceptional hardship does take longer, though. If you have to move, just make sure you file the AR 11 change of address form. All my documents except my fingerprinting notice went to my lawyer. Good luck!

If you have to move, just make sure you file the AR 11 change of address form. All my documents except my fingerprinting notice went to my lawyer. Good luck!

Make sure you also call the customer non-service number to change your address. The AR 11 just changes your address in the AR 11 database, not in the main system.